Thomas

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 10:04 pm
@DoctorGotz,
No problem.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 02:46 am
@Thomas,
There's an important distinction to be made. If David's posts were yanked, you'd have nowhere else to see them. When CVS refuses to carry RS, you can go get it somewhere else.
BillRM

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 05:20 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
There's an important distinction to be made. If David's posts were yanked, you'd have nowhere else to see them. When CVS refuses to carry RS, you can go get it somewhere else.

True I can order if from my home by way of my nook and now am planning on doing that however that does not removed the bad taste of a business not selling a magazine that it normally carry to customers due to the feelings of other customers.

No problem if everyone in the world but I refused for themselves not to read that issue of that magazine due to a cover picture but not that a drug store that I happen to do thousands of dollars worth of business every year is having others decide what I can purchase and read from them.
Setanta

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 06:03 am
@BillRM,
So boycott CVS, dipshit. You're a whiner, and this thread will now be constantly trashed by your incoherent whining.

Sorry 'bout your luck, Sofia. You can write this one off.
BillRM

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 06:34 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
So boycott CVS, dipshit. You're a whiner, and this thread will now be constantly trashed by your incoherent whining.

Already move my drugs prescriptions from CVS and email them the reason why I will not be doing business with them in the future.

I still have my mother business to move to another chain however.

Any more suggestions?
Lash

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 08:40 am
@ehBeth,
I read it, but I disagree. They aren't the final arbiter of everyone's opinion. They are welcome to theirs.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 08:47 am
@BillRM,
Walgreens
JPB

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 08:54 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

You do not live in Boston - these businesses are New England based and most people I live around feel this way.

No, that's not true. They have retail outlets all around the country, but they are not both New England based. Corporate headquarters for Walgreens is in Deerfield, IL.
JPB

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 09:00 am
@Lash,
lol
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 09:01 am
Rolling Stone cover circa 1969. They've been politically active for decades.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51YV6K60CBL._SY450_.jpg
Thomas

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 09:06 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I would be equally pissed at Robert if he selectively yanked your posts, and I can read posts of yours on Facebook. Something similar may well be true of David. (I don't want to get too hung up on him as an example.) So I disagree: no important distinction here.
Thomas

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 09:12 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
You do not live in Boston - these businesses are New England based and most people I live around feel this way.

It isn't that they aren't going to buy the magazine - it is that they will not buy anything in that business while it is on display.

Since you're playing the "you're not from Boston" card, and since you apparently have privileged information about Boston consumers, maybe you can tell me this: How much business did CVS and Walgreens lose in Boston when the New York Times ran this exact picture of Mr. Tsarnajev on page 1?
JPB

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 09:23 am
@Thomas,
Did either of them refuse to sell the NYT on May 5th?
Thomas

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 09:26 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
Did either of them refuse to sell the NYT on May 5th?

Google News does not turn up any report to that effect. And this is definitely the kind of action that other journalists would notice and report.

Moreover --- and that was the point of my last post --- Boston consumers were fine with the Times running the image. CVS did not lose any business over it. CVS didn't react to any real threat to its business. It overreacted to a storm in a social-media teapot.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 10:55 am
I must be really dumb. Even as a former Bostonian, who came of age in that city, I really don't even understand what this brouhaha is about. I do not understand Linkat's POV nor BillRM's. Boycotting a chain store because it refuses to display and sell a particular issue of a magazine on its stands? Pulling one's prescriptions from that store and transfering them to another pharmacy? To me, that's just bizarre.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 01:37 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace. - John Lennon
OK, lemme get this straight:
in 1941, if American pacifists had been louder
than thay already were, and if there had been
less of a market for TV sets,
THEN Pearl Harbor 'd have been safe
and the Japs woud not have bombed us.

If the Poles had been more pacifistic in 1939,
and if thay had demanded fewer TV sets,
then the Nazis and the commies wud have left them in peace??

Is that what u think ???????

David
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 02:10 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Pulling one's prescriptions from that store and transfering them to another pharmacy? To me, that's just bizarre.

To me to not withdraw my business from a firm that think that they had some duty to not sell me a magazine that they normally do carry due to the wishes of others who wish to stop me not repeat not just themselves from buying the magazine is bizarre.

No problem at all once more if everyone in the nation does not buy this issue of Rolling Stone but damn it do not support repeat do not support others in interfering with my rights to buy that issue and if you do so you will have lost my family business for the rest of my life.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 02:28 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Pulling one's prescriptions from that store and transfering them to another pharmacy? To me, that's just bizarre.
BillRM wrote:
To me to not withdraw my business from a firm that think that they had some duty to not sell me a magazine that they normally do carry due to the wishes of others who wish to stop me not repeat not just themselves from buying the magazine is bizarre.

No problem at all once more if everyone in the nation does not buy this issue of Rolling Stone but damn it do not support repeat do not support others in interfering with my rights to buy that issue and if you do so you will have lost my family business for the rest of my life.
So, Bill, in your vu,
the retailer has a duty to serve as a conduit, a channel,
for information to u ???

Did u contract with the retailer
(offer, acceptance with exchange of consideration)
for that permanent service?? What is the source of the duty
that u attribute to the retailer ?

David
Ragman

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 02:57 pm
@Thomas,
IF any store or newsstand displayed the May 5th NYT (or any other publication as many or all displayed it) with the terrorist's likeness, they're reporting the current news. This is a bit different thing as the only image on RS cover is the terrorist and it's many months afterward. The intent seems different and perhaps tainted by sensationalism / yellow journalism.

Editorially, IMHO, this is a different animal. I can see how other's might see it differently, though.

I see nothing to be gained by a boycott, though. Generally they never work and only add more sales and notoriety to the boycotted magazine than might've occurred prior to boycott.
BillRM

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 03:08 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David they had every legal right to allow others to dictate that I will not be allow to buy some merchandise from them that they normally carry and in turn I have every rights to tell them that if the business of those who wish the removal of the merchandise in question is more important to them then my desire to buy the merchandise I am going to stop doing business with them.

This issue is very important when it come to a drug store chain as what drugs or birth control devices and so on will they stop carrying if pressure to do so in the future?

Today it is just an issue of rolling stone magazine tomorrow the morning after pill or some such,

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 09:52:03