iPod, iTrip, BMW

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 03:05 pm
I have a 20GB iPod with an iTrip FM Transmitter, i also have a BMW where i wanted to play my iPod music through the stereo. The BMW has antennas built into the back windshield instead of an external antenna for the radio. The iTrip sends out a weak signal (probably as much as the FCC will allow) so the music is either fuzzy or intercepted by the real station making it just static. If you have a solution or the same problem, please I am all ears.

Thank you,
JoeNamath21591
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,808 • Replies: 1
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 06:56 pm
I'm not familiar with the iTrip, but as it appears to use a 4-conductor plug, and draws its power from the iPod itself, I don't see any practical way of separating the two. An iRock or a Digiana might do the trick ... they both are battery powered, and plug into a standard stereo headphone jack. Both are widely available for around $30.00. The Digiana has a pretty long coil cord ... 6', I think, the iRock just has a pigtail, but whichever, you could get a mini-plug streo headphone extension cord for a few bucks, use the headphone jack of the iPod, and put the transmitter on the rear package shelf. I use a Belkin TuneCast II, which draws power from the vehicle's 12V system via the typical coilcord/lighter plug route, with my XM Radio. It works pretty well for me. Of course, you could always put the iPod on the package shelf. None of my proposals, I'm afraid, are very elegant solutions.
0 Replies