Vermont Probes Man With 70 Goats in House

quinn1

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:06 pm
It didnt seem all that unusual (within the whole animal hoarding types at least) until I read all the way to the end.

Quote:
CORINTH, Vt. (March 29) - State officials are investigating a man whose goats and his religious convictions against killing them have collided in a possibly inhumane and definitely stinky way.

There were three goats on the farm Chris Weathersbee's mother bought seven years ago. Now there are 300 - including 70 living in his house, much of which is covered with a mix of goat droppings and hay.

Authorities last month raided the farm in Corinth, about 20 miles southeast of Montpelier, and seized 44 deemed unhealthy by a veterinarian. State police and the Central Vermont Humane Society are weighing whether to pursue animal cruelty or neglect charges.

"He has more goats than he can care for," said Sherry LeMay, the humane society's director of operations.

Weathersbee, 63, admits he cannot afford to give the herd sufficient care, but he refuses to get rid of the animals. He said his Buddhist religious views prohibit him from slaughtering any of the goats.

"Getting rid of goats means killing them," he said.

Weathersbee said he brought dozens of invalid goats and nursing mothers with babies inside his home last December because of cold temperatures.

His only income is from monthly disability checks, which, he said, he spends mostly on hay at a cost of $150 a day in the winter. He's in debt $15,000 to his neighbors for hay.

Weathersbee said he wants time to find a group that does not believe in slaughtering animals to take the 30-acre farm and house. In exchange, he wants to remain with the goats, living in the barns and fields.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,045 • Replies: 18
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:08 pm
What a nice crazy man.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:11 pm
Something about the words "probe" and "goats" in the same sentence always seems to suck me in.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:11 pm
I know! Especially knowing the email quinn sent me earlier today.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:15 pm
LOL
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:16 pm
{biggrin}
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 12:33 am
they should just gus alone dammit!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 09:24 am
Yeah, poor Gus just wanting to live in the barn.
Cant catch a break can he?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 09:36 am
You would think they would have had the decency to leave me just one goat!

Is that too much to ask?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 09:44 am
Those darn Vermonters--no respect
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 09:50 am
My late cousin, Joe Birdidnick, is the one who gave me the idea to start shacking up with goats. I paid him a visit last fall, and as I was walking toward him I could see that he was entertaining a goat with his harpsichord.

http://nzhunt.com/images/goat.jpg

Not wanting to bother Joe during such a tender moment I went to town and got my own goat.

One thing lead to another. Soon I had seventy.

Sue me.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 10:03 am
You'd think this whole goats in the house thing would be covered under VT's civil union laws no? Razz

This line cracked me up though: "Authorities last month raided the farm in Corinth..."

I can see it now; those cops from "Super Troopers" (that was VT wasn't it?) show up and surround the farm. One gets on the bullhorn and announces "This is a raid! Come out with your goats in the air!"

A raid on a goat farm? Yeash.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 10:06 am
The thing that bothered me most about this whole unfortunate incident was the effect that it had on Becky, my favorite goat.

As the authorities were leading me away in handcuffs, I could hear Becky's anguished screams in the background.

She seemed to be saying, "Noooooooooooooo! Don't take Gus away! Please, please.... I need to say goodbye!"

I slowly turned and looked into the tortured eyes of that animal. She was hurting. I shall forever have the image of that goat burned into my mind.

Pray for me.

http://www.brandonvalley.k12.sd.us/ttl/images/PhotoBank/animals/goat.jpg
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 10:21 am
oh the sadness
the grief
the desparity

its killin me Gus

sniff
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 11:01 am
He drives a 1957 Chevy pick-up truck
With a gun rack, and a "Goat Ropers Need Love, Too" sticker on the back . . .
0 Replies

BWShooter

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 10:14 pm
littlek wrote:
What a nice crazy man.

yes but goats are the devils pets.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 12:05 am
so, gus is the devil?
0 Replies

gusson

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:08 pm
god, you pre-pubescent fools need a life!
can't you move on to something new, instead of my dad? i posted here a week or so ago and got banned, twice. i guess i told someone i would meet them and teach them a lesson, then i got banned. i will probably get banned again after this post.
i have a good sense of humor normally, but we are having a tough time at our farm (Tasha's Farm, renamed recently after a seized goat that died in state hands after an illegal seizure) and it is hard enough without a whole forum devoted to making fun of my pop CHRIS, not GUS. the only reason you can do it is because you can hide behind a screen and never be seen, like the cowards you truly are. i know there are some kind sould on here too, this is not directed at you. my dad (CHRIS) is on day34 of a hunger strike at our farm, the aim of which is to draw attention to our plight to save the goats, to keep them from being sold to farms that will use them up commercially and then "cull" them ie murder them.
this is a serious situation...can you please move on to something else like the PIXIE man who dresses like peter pan at work and everywhere? he reportedly has a website. seems like much more fun than my poor old pop, who, by the way, might be posting on here soon. how will it feel to talk directly to the subject of your sophmoric humor? just drop it ,please.
thanks,
nic weathersbee
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 05:23 pm
Aw, fer gawd's sake, nic! Nobody's posted anything on this thread for more than three months!!! This was a dead thread until you revived it.

We HAVE moved on, in case you didn't notice!

Why don't you do the same?
0 Replies