What is your experience of being a Catholic?

spendius

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 01:54 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I would do if I knew I was doing it. Tell me the three best examples you know of my being pretentious. Three should do the trick and then I'll be cured.

A NJ pipsqueak addressing himself to the momentous questions raised herein is as incongruous as Laurel and Hardy commanding a shuttle flight.

The comical aspects of the difference between being, a no account NJ tosspot with breakfast droppings annealed to the trouser front, and seeming, an expert on transcendence, theology, Creation and whatnot, might be vaguely glimpsed in such a spectacle.

The idea you must have that we don't know what it is you are up to is as pretentious as pretentious gets.

Did you have a long-term healing burn the size of a silver dollar in the palm of your hand as my man did? Otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned him. Did your school chums all consider you mad as we did that idiot: all growed up and all as he was.

Geoffrey Gorer attempted to account for the American obsession with "manliness" in his sweet book on the Marquis de Sade. The idea has great potential for an evolutionary approach.

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 02:29 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I would do if I knew I was doing it. Tell me the three best examples you know of my being pretentious. Three should do the trick and then I'll be cured.

Don't want to see you cured. I want to see you do it as often as possible. It is entertaining...you amuse me when you do it.

Quote:
A NJ pipsqueak addressing himself to the momentous questions raised herein is as incongruous as Laurel and Hardy commanding a shuttle flight.

See what I mean!

Quote:
The comical aspects of the difference between being, a no account NJ tosspot with breakfast droppings annealed to the trouser front, and seeming, an expert on transcendence, theology, Creation and whatnot, might be vaguely glimpsed in such a spectacle.

And still more! You are a gem, Spendius.

Quote:
The idea you must have that we don't know what it is you are up to is as pretentious as pretentious gets.

Really. And what am I up to?

Quote:
Did you have a long-term healing burn the size of a silver dollar in the palm of your hand as my man did? Otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned him. Did your school chums all consider you mad as we did that idiot: all growed up and all as he was.

Nope. I settle for lots and lots of soot. Looks great. It was a trick. No, my school chums loved when I did it.

Quote:
Geoffrey Gorer attempted to account for the American obsession with "manliness" in his sweet book on the Marquis de Sade. The idea has great potential for an evolutionary approach.

That was a rather pretentious comment, Spendius.
spendius

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 03:28 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Don't want to see you cured. I want to see you do it as often as possible. It is entertaining...you amuse me when you do it.

That is just plain silly in two ways.

1--It is a terribly old fashioned way of avoiding saying that you can't supply the examples which is silly because it assumes we don't know that is what it is.

2--If the pretentiousness you asserevated amuses you why tell me about it and thus risk the possibility of my curing myself. One would never inform a lady in the pub that she had returned from the toilet with her skirt stuck in her knickers unless one was eager to avoid being amused.

As I made clear in my last post, I consider your pretentiousness in coming on a thread concerning such abstruse matters as these and spouting your simplistic drivel, as if it is the last word in modern philosophical thought, to be so out the top side of the pretentiousness scale as to need another expression. Such as "******* ridiculous" in the sense Henry Fielding would have employed such a term.

Quote:
And what am I up to?

You are trying to repress the notion put into your head during your Catholic upbringing that the sum total of your infractions of the Christian moral code relating to the "flesh" have dropped you in the ****. Not having any evidence that there is no afterlife, where virtue is rewarded and vice punished, is bound to bother you.

And the cure is just up the road. The confessional. You won't be required to provide any details as priests don't do marathon confessions and it will obviously be repetitive anyway. And they have heard it all before.

It's being there, repentant and contrite, that matters like a prodigal son (prod--geddit--oh never mind) and absolution is guaranteed. A spotless soul. I don't suppose there are many of them in NJ.

Quote:

What's pretentious about that. They are facts. GG did do that. The book is sweet and it does have potential for evolutionary thought. It pretends nothing.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 04:27 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:

That is just plain silly in two ways.

1--It is a terribly old fashioned way of avoiding saying that you can't supply the examples which is silly because it assumes we don't know that is what it is.

2--If the pretentiousness you asserevated amuses you why tell me about it and thus risk the possibility of my curing myself. One would never inform a lady in the pub that she had returned from the toilet with her skirt stuck in her knickers unless one was eager to avoid being amused.

As I made clear in my last post, I consider your pretentiousness in coming on a thread concerning such abstruse matters as these and spouting your simplistic drivel, as if it is the last word in modern philosophical thought, to be so out the top side of the pretentiousness scale as to need another expression. Such as "******* ridiculous" in the sense Henry Fielding would have employed such a term.

Quote:
And what am I up to?

You are trying to repress the notion put into your head during your Catholic upbringing that the sum total of your infractions of the Christian moral code relating to the "flesh" have dropped you in the ****. Not having any evidence that there is no afterlife, where virtue is rewarded and vice punished, is bound to bother you.

And the cure is just up the road. The confessional. You won't be required to provide any details as priests don't do marathon confessions and it will obviously be repetitive anyway. And they have heard it all before.

It's being there, repentant and contrite, that matters like a prodigal son (prod--geddit--oh never mind) and absolution is guaranteed. A spotless soul. I don't suppose there are many of them in NJ.

Quote:

What's pretentious about that. They are facts. GG did do that. The book is sweet and it does have potential for evolutionary thought. It pretends nothing.

Did I mention that I find you extremely pretentious, Spendius?
spendius

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 05:06 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Yes you did but I don't think you know what the word means and use it as an all purpose insult, as a parrot might, and a free pass to self-perceived excellence, due to having heard some snooty female librarian deploy it to good effect in circumstances too vulgar to be recounted to the sort of audience one might expect on an international debate forum.

You have yet to explain what was pretentious in the statement I made concerning Mr Gorer's book. Why don't you try it and then, as you often say, we might have a discussion about it.

You asserting that the statement I made was pretentious is not a discussion. It is an edict from someone whose ego is out of control.

Golf is a disguise for the insignificance of the self cloaked in busy activity. As is much else of course.
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 05:10 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

This may have been the first time you used the word extremely but I think we get your drift. Cool
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 05:11 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Golf is a disguise for the insignificance of the self cloaked in busy activity. As is much else of course.

It seems more productive than the pub.
spendius

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 05:17 pm
@reasoning logic,
It can be.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 06:29 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Yes you did but I don't think you know what the word means and use it as an all purpose insult, as a parrot might, and a free pass to self-perceived excellence, due to having heard some snooty female librarian deploy it to good effect in circumstances too vulgar to be recounted to the sort of audience one might expect on an international debate forum.

You have yet to explain what was pretentious in the statement I made concerning Mr Gorer's book. Why don't you try it and then, as you often say, we might have a discussion about it.

You asserting that the statement I made was pretentious is not a discussion. It is an edict from someone whose ego is out of control.

Actually, I meant...."VERY pretentious."
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 06:30 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:

This may have been the first time you used the word extremely but I think we get your drift. Cool

Aha..."extemely pretentious." Even better than "very pretentious."
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 04:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Sure.
The information.

It is amazing what you can learn from spies and whistle blowers.
I seen this documentary and thought it might be up your alley but I do not know if there is a book out. it's called "The Secret Life of a Superpower Episode 2 BBC WikiLeaks Doc

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 05:21 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

Does it matter what you meant? If it does then you must be a very, or even extremely, important person.

How pretentious is that?
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2013 03:32 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:

Does it matter what you meant? If it does then you must be a very, or even extremely, important person.

How pretentious is that?

Stop with the pretentious nonsense, Spendius. There is more than enough discord in the world already.
0 Replies