Google Gets the Message, Launches Gmail

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 07:46 pm
Google Gets the Message, Launches Gmail
Wednesday March 31, 7:05 pm ET
User Complaint About Existing Services Leads Google to Create Search-Based Webmail
Search is Number Two Online Activity -- Email is Number One; "Heck, Yeah," Say Google Founders

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 31, 2004-- Amidst rampant media speculation, Google Inc. today announced it is testing a preview release of Gmail -- a free search-based webmail service with a storage capacity of up to eight billion bits of information, the equivalent of 500,000 pages of email. Per user.

The inspiration for Gmail came from a Google user complaining about the poor quality of existing email services, recalled Larry Page, Google co-founder and president, Products. "She kvetched about spending all her time filing messages or trying to find them," Page said. "And when she's not doing that, she has to delete email like crazy to stay under the obligatory four megabyte limit. So she asked, 'Can't you people fix this?'"

The idea that there could be a better way to handle email caught the attention of a Google engineer who thought it might be a good "20 percent time" project. (Google requires engineers to spend a day a week on projects that interest them, unrelated to their day jobs). Millions of M&Ms later, Gmail was born.

"If a Google user has a problem with email, well, so do we," said Google co-founder and president of technology, Sergey Brin. "And while developing Gmail was a bit more complicated than we anticipated, we're pleased to be able to offer it to the user who asked for it."

Added Page, "Gmail solves all of my communication needs. It's fast and easy and has all the storage I need. And I can use it from anywhere. I love it!"

Today, a handful of users will begin testing the preview version of Gmail. Unlike other free webmail services, Gmail is built on the idea that users should never have to file or delete a message, or struggle to find an email they've sent or received. Key features of Gmail include:

Search: Built on Google search technology, Gmail enables people to quickly search every email they've ever sent or received. Using keywords or advanced search features, Gmail users can find what they need, when they need it.

Storage: Google believes people should be able to hold onto their mail forever. That's why Gmail comes with 1,000 megabytes (1 gigabyte) of free storage -- more than 100 times what most other free webmail services offer.

Speed: Gmail makes using email faster and more efficient by eliminating the need to file messages into folders, and by automatically organizing individual emails into meaningful "conversations" that show messages in the context of all the replies sent in response to them. And it turns annoying spam e-mail messages into the equivalent of canned meat.
According to Page and Brin, Google will make the preview test version of Gmail available to a small number of email aficionados. With luck, Gmail will prove popular to them -- and to the original user who sparked the idea.

Those interested in learning more about Gmail can visit http://gmail.google.com.

About Google Inc.

Google's innovative search technologies connect millions of people around the world with information every day. Founded in 1998 by Stanford Ph.D. students Larry Page and Sergey Brin, Google today is a top web property in all major global markets. Google's targeted advertising program, which is the largest and fastest growing in the industry, provides businesses of all sizes with measurable results, while enhancing the overall web experience for users. Google is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout North America, Europe, and Asia. For more information, visit www.google.com.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,684 • Replies: 69
No top replies

husker

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 07:54 pm
I'll be watching - how long is the beta test?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 07:55 pm
Wow BBB, sign me up!! Sounds wonderful.

Hotmail will probably feel like they developed a terrible leak as their users take to Google.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:10 pm
1 gigabyte free storage...

You sure this isn't an april 1 kinda story?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:14 pm
Keep us posted on new developements, BBB? This might be the one to pry me away from yahoo.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:14 pm
Adrian wrote:
1 gigabyte free storage...

You sure this isn't an april 1 kinda story?

Nope, the catch is that their spider will eventually read your messages and serve contextual ads to you.

They have what could be a killer app. They get access to your email so that they can help you search it, and in turn get to monetize email with contextual advertising. Something that has never been done before.

This is going to make them a killing. 1GB is cheap for targeted eyballs.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:18 pm
and they are going to keep all that info confidentail - Wink
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:23 pm
wow a chance to be the first with your own name.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:27 pm
Algis.Kemezys wrote:
wow a chance to be the first with your own name.

except for Bob Smith
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:59 pm
Quote:
Nope, the catch is that their spider will eventually read your messages and serve contextual ads to you.

They have what could be a killer app. They get access to your email so that they can help you search it, and in turn get to monetize email with contextual advertising. Something that has never been done before.

This is going to make them a killing. 1GB is cheap for targeted eyballs.

That is a bloody good idea. When are they going to float? I want in!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:46 pm
Patience, Adrian ... much more of this will be known tomorrow. Google has a long history of making stunning announcements just about this time every year. In fact. they're sorta reknowned for it, if not downright notorious for it.

I wouldn't be in a rush to cancell my Hotmail account, though.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:17 pm
Google is the bomb
Last Sunday on Charles Osgood's show they did a profile of the company.

They seem like the world's best company to work for.

I think Google has still got a looooong way to grow.

(Incidentally, they are on the verge of an IPO.)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:16 pm
Re: Google is the bomb
PDiddie wrote:

I've had a set-dollar-amount pre-order in place for quite a while. Up or down, I'll be in for the beginning of the ride.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 01:24 am
As predicted: http://www.google.com/gmail/help/about.html#ads

This is their next context ad market.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 02:42 am
Almost seems worth it. I've already trained myself to ignore the right side of googles search page results.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 03:24 am
Re: Google is the bomb
timberlandko wrote:
PDiddie wrote:

I've had a set-dollar-amount pre-order in place for quite a while. Up or down, I'll be in for the beginning of the ride.
Too cool. I just signed up to be notified when the service becomes available... And I'll keep my ears peeled for the IPO. Could be the beginning of another Dot.com boom!

In a related story (unbelievably loosely Laughing ) I did something strange the other night. While me and a girlfriend were having a little too much fun, in what could only be described as a "stoner moment" Rolling Eyes ; I jumped online and bought the domain "smokethevote.com" Shocked . At the time it seemed the world needed a forum to petition for some specific law changes, learn which candidates might help facilitate them and of course unite to "smoke the vote". This bit of brilliance Embarrassed dawned on me when it occurred to me that smokers hardly ever leave the house and consequently probably don't often vote and therefore provide no organization for political whores to pander to. What didn't occur to me; I have no web skills and since I rarely smoke; I don't really have a dog in this fight. Perhaps in the next dot.com boom I'll sell it for a huge profit on e-bay! :wink:
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 03:38 am
G-Male doesnt sound half as exciting as Hot-Male (even though both are applicable to me)

wait a minute - its MAIL you guyz are talking abt...

me and my one track mind Shocked
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 07:03 am
Bill, NORML might be interested in making you an offer for that domain.

Back to the topic at hand, I'm sure GMail is gonna be even bigger than the last Beakthrough Technology Google revealed to the public, just 2 years ago today, if I recall the date of that announcement correctly. Obviously, Google's Copernicus Center Project is already bearing fruit.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 11:43 am
1 gig of free space? i want in!
my 6mb yahoo account needs almost daily attention -- attention i can't always provide...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 11:43 am
<<repeat post deleted>>
0 Replies