Phones And Tablets, Smart?

RexRed

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 01:29 am
I think phones and tablets make people who use them seem dumb instead of smart. They are not nearly as functional as a full PC or MAC and thus renders the owners with this same lack of function over a wide array of parameters. Has the new portable device age rendered people dumber instead of smarter?

Sometimes I wan't to say to people, if you can't talk to me on a PC don't talk to me at all...

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 01:34 am
@RexRed,
So, what am I replying on, Rex?

RexRed

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 01:38 am
@Lordyaswas,
Compared to a PC, does the lack of function on phones and tablets make people smarter?
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 01:39 am
@Lordyaswas,
No? Can't tell yet?
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 01:41 am
@RexRed,
I don't know how a lack of function can make a difference to someone's smartness level.
Please could you explain how this can happen?
RexRed

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 02:39 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

I don't know how a lack of function can make a difference to someone's smartness level.
Please could you explain how this can happen?

If certain people are constantly on a phone and one can communicate text with them but someone sends them to a Youtube site to the latest viral video and the phone can't play it, how does this lack of function make one at an advantage when it comes to garnering information, gathering intelligence and becoming generally smarter? A lack of function correlates to a lack of opportunity.
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 02:44 am
@RexRed,
But surely.....following your argument.... if the youtube item was something that would cause harm or offence, or indeed cause someone to emulate badness, such as gangsta rap, this would then possibly lead to the recipient ending up being BETTER than the sender, purely because they could NOT view it.

No?
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 03:09 am
@Lordyaswas,
Rather than go off down the track with us trying to outdo each other in order to win the argument, I concede that at this moment, a small percentage of Youtube and/or other videos are not available to my machine....a Samsung Tablet by the way.
That is because the industry is the one that is dumb, and they are furiously playing catch up.
It really makes no difference to me, as the news channels I use, including the BBC, all play the vids just fine.
The other point I will sort of concede, is that when smartphone users are communicating here, they tend to use abbreviation too much, and jam words together, leading to the reader assuming that the writer is dumb.

There is a good chance that this is indeed the case, but I am of the opinion that laziness has a great deal more to do with it than level of intelligence.
Smartphones just seem to increase the temptation to be lazy, as it seems to be the "thing" that textspeak is automatically adopted when a phone keypad is used.

But apart from that, there are great advantages to tablets and iphones, etc.

For one, it takes a maximum of ten seconds for me to switch the thing on and have it fully booted, ready to use.
I can also take it just about anywhere, conceal it easily in my clothing if I wish and not only communicate on the net, but take unlimited photos, shoot videos, watch TV, listen to music and play games. The unplugged power lasts for hours, usually, and takes no time at all to recharge at the end of the day.

I love my PC, but since getting this gizmo, I love this just as much....if not a teeny bit more.

I would say don't knock it if you haven't tried it.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 06:04 am
@Lordyaswas,
It is because the phone has a limited set of content that can be viewed and created on it. On apple devices, no Flash and Itunes restrictions.

If you don't have this app or that app you can't view a certain site. You can't really just "surf the web" you have to traverse a rugged landscape of limited functionality instead.

And even with a tablet, it never can be a high resolution 50 inch screen so a content creator will always be at a disadvantage like looking at the Mona Lisa thorough keyhole. Why would someone opt to see less of their parameters at once? I need two and three monitors at once... Why opt to go back to the old days when there were layers and layers of parameters buried deep within a low resolution face-plate?

All these tiny apps will never compare to full fledged applications with thousands of filters and VST (plugins) installed. What is the point of a camera and photo editing software on a phone when the editor can only see the media through a tiny viewing screen? People post instagram photos and apply filters and they look terrible online. The filters are way overdone and the photos may look nice in a tiny viewing screen but on a full sized monitor all of the flaws appear...

And have you ever heard of people composing music on their phone? And even composing music on a tablet is impossible because of limited space, and data speed requirements and lack of audio inputs... So if you are a music artist and you buy a smart phone or tablet instead of a PC that is not very smart at all... Just like laptops are not really suited for recording music either for several main reasons...
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 06:32 am
@RexRed,
I'm not an architect, music composer, programmer, professional photographer or geek web designer. I fall into the category that the vast majority of us do, and that is a person who wants to do normal things with their electronic bits and pieces.
My screen is about 10×6 inches, way big enough for me, and displays things with fine detail.
At the moment I'm sitting way down the end of my garden, enjoying the shade on a hot day while my dawg is pestering the local squirrel and all is well with the world.
If I want to go and design a skyscraper, I can always toodle off indoors and miss out on the summer.
The photos I take on this thing are almost as good as my Canon, but if Kelly Brook turned up and offered to pose, I would probably want to do her more justice and get my camera.
Best of both worlds really. Tablet for flexibility and PC for when I'm composing my symphony.
Doesn't make me any less smart though.....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 08:33 am
@RexRed,
1) The "smart" in "smart phone" doesn't refer to the user, it refers to the phone.
2) Mobile devices are here to stay.
3) There is definitely a trade-off when using a mobile device. You lose performance and functionality.
4) I love my smart phone because it allows GPS navigation, Internet (google) access, phone calls, and casual games, among other things.
5) I do not consider it a replacement for a laptop.

I don't carry my laptop when I go to the movies or the bookstore. But I sure like to carry my phone.
ulinka

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2016 10:48 am
@DrewDad,
Can't fugure out how to set up skype on my tablet, will appreciate if any body can help?
RexRed

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 09:34 am
@ulinka,
go to the store
RexRed

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 11:59 am
@RexRed,
use windows
0 Replies

cecilfrances

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2017 06:18 am
@Lordyaswas,
haha yeah right
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2017 11:54 pm
When you reduce screen real estate you limit the amount of parameters a media creator can see at one time and thus you generally reduce "scope". One must be able to see the project in its entirety in order to envision a new way forward. Sometimes complexity cannot fit in a small space no matter how tiny you make it. Your vision as an artist must be an order of magnitude "higher" than your viewers, so you can see the imperfections in your own art before they do.
0 Replies