The new abnormal -- DSM 5

Mon 24 Jun, 2013 01:06 pm
The DSM 5 has dropped Asperger's as a condition one can suffer from. Now a person is autistic. Parents are up in arms!

One thing I've noticed on some parenting forums I visit is that people almost seemed pleased when their kids were diagnosed with Asperger's. It apparently had become some kind of shorthand for "genius". They don't want their kids to be diagnosed as autistic.

It turns out I'm not alone in noticing it: http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2013/05/autism_spectrum_diagnoses_the_dsm_5_eliminates_asperger_s_and_pdd_nos.html

Quote:
It’s not only the fear of losing diagnoses that has parents and diagnosed individuals challenging the APA. Some say that the word autism carries a greater stigma, which may keep high-functioning individuals and their families from pursuing a diagnosis and the support that comes with it. As high-school senior Hannah Fjeldsted, who has Asperger’s, articulated clearly (if a bit insensitively) in a guest blog post at Autism Speaks, “The label of Asperger’s at least gives observers the impression of intelligence and ability. But when most people think of ‘autism,’ they think of someone who should be institutionalized.” Hibben also expresses concern over whether his son will embrace his diagnosis when he’s a teenager. “Now it’s almost cool to have Asperger’s,” he points out. “The Big-Bang Theory and Parenthood feature characters who have it.”

Parents of lower-functioning kids are also concerned about how the influx of high-functioning individuals will affect the public’s perception of autism—mainly because they feel autism is a serious disorder that people should associate with profound disability. One mother commented online that “the proposed DSM change would diminish the enormity of the challenges that those with moderate to severe autism have.” Ursitti, who has a daughter with Asperger’s and a son with severe autism, feels this is already happening: “If we have this national perspective that autism is a blessing, that it’s not a crisis, the ones who will lose out are the expensive ones, the severe ones. Legislators focus on the cheapest option, and celebration is cheaper than treatment.”

Reading this article reminded me so much of a conversation I had with my son earlier this year. He came home from school insisting he had ADD/ADHD. On further questioning I learned that he'd heard from his classmates that the drugs were good and that they made school easier.

It's probably because I started paying attention to such things that I noticed a lot of young people posting on forums asking how they could convince their parents that they suffered from ADD/ADHD. Kids want these drugs so they want the diagnosis. They don't think of it as mental illness.

I guess I'm kind of wondering how we got to the point where certain types of mental illness seem desirable.

Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,775 • Replies: 7
Topic Closed

boomerang

Mon 24 Jun, 2013 07:32 pm
One of the changes I think is interesting is in PTSD:

Quote:
PTSD

More attention is now paid to behavioral symptoms that accompany PTSD in the DSM-5. It now includes four primary major symptom clusters:

Reexperiencing
Arousal
Avoidance
Persistent negative alterations in cognitions and mood

“Posttraumatic stress disorder is now developmentally sensitive in that diagnostic thresholds have been lowered for children and adolescents. Furthermore, separate criteria have been added for children age 6 years or younger with this disorder.”

I think this will really benefit foster kids and other children who experienced early abuse and/or neglect.

PTSD is being rigorously studied because of the high incidence in the military. Hopefully they'll find good ways to apply what they learn to children.

Also, they've added bulimia, PMS (but they call it PDD (but maybe it's really something different, something more severe than PMS (I don't know)) and hoarding to the DSM 5.

0 Replies

roger

Mon 24 Jun, 2013 09:40 pm
@boomerang,
Just so you know, I read this stuff even if I don't have anything to add. Don't feel like you are being ignored.
hawkeye10

Mon 24 Jun, 2013 10:19 pm
@boomerang,
people want to have ADHD because doctors will give them good uppers, often paid by insurance. Lindsey Lohan threw a fit when Betty Ford Clinic told her she could not have them, then she got herself thrown out. now she is at a Malibu rehab, and I'll bet that she has her pharmacy uppers back.
boomerang

Tue 25 Jun, 2013 07:06 am
@roger,
I don't mind talking to myself sometimes, roger. Sometimes threads are a lovely spot to catalog my thoughts and collect articles so that I can refer back to them when needed!
0 Replies

boomerang

Tue 25 Jun, 2013 07:11 am
@hawkeye10,
Yep. That's what I found out when Mo started asking about them. Some kid at school had convinced him that school would be a snap if he could get his hands on some stimulants.

I've been reading a bit about "academic doping", questioning whether it's cheating. Most people discussing it don't think it is, but they do think athletic doping is cheating. I'm not really sure where I stand on it.
0 Replies

Mrknowspeople

Wed 25 Jan, 2023 09:26 pm
@boomerang,
I was enjoying the nice weather on the golf course today.
roger

Wed 25 Jan, 2023 10:24 pm
@Mrknowspeople,
Hey, piss off.
0 Replies