I think I have a sleep disorder

seadog

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 08:14 am
Every single night, I have SEVERE trouble falling asleep, I usually don't go to sleep until 3-4am, then I sleep until 1pm and am tired all day, although sometimes I fall asleep around 2am and wake up at 4am and cant get back to sleep. And sometimes I only get 1-3 hours of sleep, this results in me not being able to concentrate during the day and in class, but then, once it's nighttime, I am very hyper and cannot fall asleep, last night I got NO sleep, Please help, I'm 22years old. Oh, and I am NOT depressed, as I am generally very happy and social, just tired and sluggish during theday
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,494 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 08:43 am
@seadog,
You probably have to retrain your internal clock. Rather than allowing yourself to sleep until 1 pm, set an alarm and force yourself to get up a half-hour earlier each day until you're waking up at 8 or 9 am. The earlier you wake up, the easier it will be for you to fall asleep at night at an earlier time. The first few days you'll be exhausted. Don't give in to it, keep waking up and making yourself get out of bed. Don't take naps during the day, make yourself stay awake until bed time.

If you drink a lot of caffeine during the day, cut back on it at least until you've retrained your sleep patterns.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 08:59 am
@Butrflynet,
You might also look into getting tested to see if you have sleep apnea. Some of the things you describe are symptoms of that. If you do, it is easily treated.
Fullcircle

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 11:40 am
@seadog,
I am working through the same issue. I lay in bed unable to sleep sometimes all night. The next day I am exhausted and I sleep but wake several times. I would have said that I could not be stressed nor do I find any specific thing keeping me awake. I watched some TED videos that were very informative - Dr. Alan Watkins - Being Brilliant Every Single Day (Part 1) and Part 2. In the last three days I have worked on my mental state and my sleeping patterns are improving. Not being able to sleep is a very challenging thing. Hopefully, the videos will help you as well.
0 Replies

seadog

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 12:06 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks, everyone for answering, I will try what you guys suggested and Butrflynet, I do not have sleep apnea, I've already been tested, but I might look into retesting if nothing else works
seadog

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 12:09 pm
@seadog,
I have been drinking alot of mountain dew, which has alot of caffine in it, I'll try cutting back on that and see if it helps
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 12:53 pm
@seadog,
Jane the Mentalist's idea: Count breaths, it distracts. With his ultra-simplistic scheme: 1, inhale; 2, exhale; 1, inhale, etc

I like six myself: 1, inhale; 2 exhale;……5 inhale; 6, exhale. Now take one deep no-count breath. All sorts of variations are okay; Then eg: 7, inhale; 8 exhale, etc

Or: A, inhale; B, exhale; C, inhale;…..etc

Even: alpha, inhale; beta, exhale…..
Jan, inhale; Feb, exhale

Etc ad infinitum

Important: Each time you wake go get a drink and pee
0 Replies

Herbsindiapure

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 07:15 am
@seadog,
Usually, Sleeplessness is caused due to various reasons such as stress, bad food habit, etc.,. Too much of sleep during the day time can make you go insomniac at night. Consumption of sleeping pills might put you to sleep for a while, but in the long run it will eventually spoil your health. Several studies have been conducted to find a natural remedy for insomnia, one of that is using nutmeg. Powdered nutmeg in milk or hot water can relax the nerves and induces peaceful sleep in a natural way.

Stay Healthy! Stay Happy!

0 Replies