Reporter/ advertisement sales rep collaboration?

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 02:58 am
Hello! I have a question and wanted to see what you all thought. Do you think a sales team representative and reporter should work together during interviews for stories? At my college paper , all of a sudden, the manager expects the reporter to bring a sales rep along for some interviews. For instance, a new restaurant opened near campus. Our manager suggested that while the reporter interviews the manager/staff/customers, the sales rep tries to sell them an ad. The argument is that many business owners refuse to purchase an ad when they already got a free space on the front page. This way, they think, we can get the story and the ad. "Kill two birds with one stone."

As a student journalist this raises a few flags for me. It seems off-putting to give a sales pitch during the interview. Reporters should not be trying to "win sources over." I feel that combining the two would ultimately force both reporters and sales reps to suffer.

There have to be other ways to approach this. Personally, I think they should be kept seperate. Reporters sometimes have to get creative to get the story. Shouldn't sales have to do the same?
As I student I'm also learning that this is a hard time for newspapers. Sales are not as high as they have been in the past- money is tight. However, I don't think this is the right path to take. Selling advertisements is crucial, but is this the right way to go about this?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 727 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 05:27 am
@Terri2592,
This smells really, really unethical.

I get that the paper is hurting for funds, but this seems an awful lot like trading probably positive press for sales. Buy ad space and we'll make you look good in our article!
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 06:50 pm
@Terri2592,
Agree with Jespah.

It is unethical and goes against just about everything they teach you in such journalism schools as Columbia and Boston U. A reporter should never be expected to sell space in the paper he/she represents. And, basically, that's what you're doing when you bring a sales rep along on an interview. In fact, reputable papers will discourage anything like it. When I was a young newspaper reporter, I was told not to get too chummy with the advertising sales people after hours; it can lead to a lack of objectivity; stories which are supposed to be objective and accurate can start to sound like "plugs" for the concern about which you're writing.
0 Replies