Where Should Edward Snowden Have Placed Himself After Publication?

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 08:48 pm
He is/was in Hong Kong.....I think he should have marched up to the White House gates and presented himself for arrest with major media in tow, and given a revolutionary speach.

What say you?

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 05:24 am
@hawkeye10,
I think that before he does all that, he should write chapter and verse about where all the metaphorical bodies are buried, and distribute copies of those to various legal eagles around the world, with strict instruction that they should be put into the public domain should he fail to report his whereabouts on a regular basis

The western spooks would love him just to appear and give himself up without any forethought. He would be instantly disappeared before he had a chance to make his case.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 05:27 am
@Lordyaswas,
Or has he been disappeared already?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 11:36 am
@hawkeye10,
He should have gone to Iceland first. Either that or just not revealed his name.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 11:41 am
@engineer,
i dont think you can claim to be a champion of law and be a fugitive of the law at the same time. he should have offered himself up as a martyr.

the worst outcome would be to offer his services to the Chinese in exchange for not sending him back, not that the chinese can be trusted though. I worry that he went to china hopping they would offer him a deal for us computer secrets, something that they want and that would hurt us.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 11:48 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

He is/was in Hong Kong.....I think he should have marched up to the White House gates and presented himself for arrest with major media in tow, and given a revolutionary speach.

What say you?

I'm glad you are so willing to consider sacrificing Snowden into political martydom Hawkeye. Rolling Eyes Razz

I'm on the side where he should be universally pardoned and given a Congressional medal of honor/freedom thingy.

Quote:
revolutionary speach.

BTW: The revolutionary speaches are tastiest and ripest speaches. Razz
engineer

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 12:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

i dont think you can claim to be a champion of law and be a fugitive of the law at the same time. he should have offered himself up as a martyr.

I think he has already given up his home life, significant other (who he really shafted) and job (where he was apparently making decent cash). I don't think he needs to do more than that.
BillRM

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 12:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
I'm glad you are so willing to consider sacrificing Snowden into political martydom Hawkeye.

LOL so am I..........
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 12:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Costa Rica. They've shown balls in harboring Julian Assange in their embassy. Maybe they'd do it for Snowden, too.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 12:30 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
I think he has already given up his home life, significant other (who he really shafted) and job (where he was apparently making decent cash). I don't think he needs to do more than that.

i dont think it likely that he will avoid prison probably for the rest of his life, the only question was the route.

a pardon is not likely either.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 12:33 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

Costa Rica. They've shown balls in harboring Julian Assange in their embassy. Maybe they'd do it for Snowden, too.

if he was wanting to escape a US prison without selling our secrets to an enemy i should think France would have been his best bet. i dont think it would work though.

the germans are super pissed about this invasion on individual rights and their rights, perhaps they would be willing to throw down with the US on this....
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 01:00 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:

thumbing your nose to SWeden.

thumbing your nose to USA.

ya, not the same thing.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 01:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

a pardon is not likely either.

That really depends on if we continue with middle of the road to conservative presidents or if we get someone more to the left. I could see a liberal President issuing a pardon. If he can get to Iceland, they will probably let him in. He can be the new Bobby Fischer.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 01:49 pm
@Thomas,
Er, Equador, eh?

Or did I somehow miss a move to a Costa Rica embassy?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 03:13 pm
the way I understand it the US almost certainly has a secret arrest warrent out..if he tries to leave Hong Kong by normal means he would thus be arrested.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 01:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
I am beginning to think that this guy had a pretty good plan for how to out the US government all along...
engineer

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2013 06:34 am
@hawkeye10,
He certainly is saying all the right things when he talks to the press.
0 Replies