HIGH CPU USAGE…WINDOWS XP.

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2013 12:51 pm

Here’s the thing. I keep getting the “High CPU Usage” message when I am working. I’ve done all the scans…cleaned up everything I can.

Googled the problem…and found that often it is caused by “start up” items (the **** that starts every time you turn the computer on).

The articles recommend disabling the items not truly needed at start--and warns not to disable any that are essential. But none of the articles give a good picture of what is essential.

Is there anyone here who could help me with what is and what is not a good candidate for disablement…and which I should definitely NOT disable?

I know how to get to the “start up” items and I can copy and paste the list if anyone thinks he/she knows how to tell the two groups apart.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,054 • Replies: 8
No top replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2013 01:20 pm
@Frank Apisa,
First thing I would do is to do is to hit the following keys ctrl-alt-delete and bring up the window task manager and see what processes are running and of the processes what ones are taking the most cpu resources.

Next go to the run command and type in the following msconfig and go to the start-up tab to see what programs are being call in at start up and using the information from the window task manager begin to unchecked some of the programs that seems to be taking resources and seems not to be needed.

No harm will be done as you can always bring up msconfig and rechecked a program that you find is needed.

Oh as one more safety precaution created a restore point just before doing any changes.

Let see you might find out more information if you do not close the task manager but just make it small so you can see the cpu usage change as you are working in the task bar.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2013 02:18 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

First thing I would do is to do is to hit the following keys ctrl-alt-delete and bring up the window task manager and see what processes are running and of the processes what ones are taking the most cpu resources.

Next go to the run command and type in the following msconfig and go to the start-up tab to see what programs are being call in at start up and using the information from the window task manager begin to unchecked some of the programs that seems to be taking resources and seems not to be needed.

No harm will be done as you can always bring up msconfig and rechecked a program that you find is needed.

Oh as one more safety precaution created a restore point just before doing any changes.

Let see you might find out more information if you do not close the task manager but just make it small so you can see the cpu usage change as you are working in the task bar.

Thanks, Bill. I did try something like that. I only found two items that were using up CPU.

Iexplore.exe 50

System Idle process 40

Can either of those be disabled without harm to the computer?
igm

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2013 02:33 pm
@Frank Apisa,
http://www.windowsanswers.net/articles/fix-cpuusage?tid=highcpuusagegooguk&gclid=CPWjoLbo17cCFYTJtAodliAAsQ

How to Easily FIX High CPU Usage
Most CPU Usage issues can be traced back to an overload of processes running, and too little resources to handle all of them. This does not mean that your computer has to be like this! Rather, you need to find which processes are clogging up your computer's performance and remedy them. While this can prove tough to do manually, automated programs such as FixCleaner can turn this chore into a walk in the park.

FixCleaner is a system optimizer that can seek out issues with your computer's configuration. It's one-click interface allows even the most novice computer users to take advantage of it's high-powered optimization engine. FixCleaner is mainted and supported by SlimWare Utilities Inc, an award-winning software company that has been covered in numerous high-level media publications.
( click here to download FixCleaner ) RECOMMENDED

Also:

Common Causes of High CPU Usage
The factors that contribute to high CPU usage and slow performance are varying. The problem may stem from hardware failure or software error or both. In order to diagnose the problem accurately, it's a good idea to know the common causes of high CPU usage so you might better identify the root cause. Constant, high CPU usage is not normal. If your computer performs slowly and displays a high CPU usage percentage in the task manager, there is an underlying problem that is causing the processor to run at such an extreme speed. Diagnostic troubleshooting is required to accurately identify the problem, but these are some of the common causes of high CPU usage:
High CPU Usage May Be Caused By...
Out-of-date drivers (Run DriverUpdate by SlimWare Utilities or manually update them)
Running too many applications at once
Insufficient virtual memory (How to Fix Virtual Memory Issues)
Overheating/Poor ventilation
Virus/Malware infections
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2013 02:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Iexplore.exe 50

IE8 the last microsoft browser that you can used with XP seems to have problems when dealing with some new websites and the scripts they can contain that can result in locking up and or pinning your cpu level so I would suggest not using it and going to either chrome or firefox.

Quote:
System Idle process 40

Not a problem see below.

Quote:
From Microsoft -- the definition of System Idle Process:
This process is a single thread running on each processor, which has the sole task of accounting for processor time when the system isn't processing other threads. In Task Manager, expect this process to account for the majority of processor time.

The system idle process uses all the CPU time that is not used by anything else. CPU time is like any other time; you can't not use it. If you do nothing, you're still using time: you are using time to do nothing.

If the system idle process is using 99% of the CPU, then your CPU is busy only 1% of the time. That's good, not bad.

0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2013 03:48 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Call a computer geek (hopefully a friend) to straighten things out. Buy him or her a meal as a reward.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 06:53 pm
First of all...thank you everyone.

I've tried a few things...but still some problems.

Does anyone know what the "Toolbarupdaterservice" is? It seems to be using a lot of CPU.
BillRM

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 07:21 pm
@Frank Apisa,
It seems you got some malware/adware on your computer and I suggest you try running the free version of malwarebtye to see if it will removed it.

Quote:

http://www.anvisoft.com/resources/how-to-remove-toolbarupdaterservice/

How to Remove ToolbarUpdaterService?
Posted on January 23, 2013 by admin 212 views
Are you experiencing an extreme slow of PC and even computer freeze? At the same time, you find a process named ToolbarUpdaterService.exe running strangely and unusually on your PC? Congratulations! Your judge is correct. ToolbarUpdaterService.exe is a malicious process which eats up most of your computer resources, that’s why your PC is so slow.

Why it’s malicious?

It modifies your browser settings, and loads additional pages to consume system resources.
It’s invisible in the system process list, which makes most spyware removal tools fail the task to detect and catch it.
It uses a ton of memory, resulting in an extreme slow of PC, even computer freeze.

How to remove it from your computer completely? (Manual removal guide)

STEP 1
End below malicious process in Windows Task Manager.

You can press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to launch the window.

toolbarupdaterservice.exe.

STEP 2
Delete ToolbarUpdaterService.exe related registry entries.

Click here to learn how to delete registry entries.
STEP 3
Unregister DLLs.

TOOLBAR32.DLL

Click here to learn how to unregister DLLs.

STEP 4
Delete all associated files from your computer.

STEP 5
Delete directories:

C:Program filesStartnow Toolbar

Recommended: You’d better use anti-malware program and computer cleaning tool to help you get rid of this stubborn malicious process, in case you’re inexperienced in executing above 5 steps, especially when you’re a PC novice.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 07:32 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I have somewhat similar messages show up from time to time. The identify startup programs and offer to delete them. One is from Adobe, and adds a whopping .2 sec to the process. I decided to let it go ahead and waste .2 seconds.
0 Replies