Can I leave my employer subsidized plan?

Kah52

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2013 10:55 am
I dislike my employers health plan policy which penalizes me with higher premiums if I don't participate in their "wellness program". Will I be able to shop the exchange or am I forced to buy their plan?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,365 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Kah52

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2013 11:18 am
@Kah52,
I believe I found part of the answer to my own question:
"Workers who already have health insurance through an employer can use the Health Insurance Exchanges. However, they may not be eligible for premium tax credits or cost-sharing reductions, unless their employer-based coverage is inadequate or unaffordable."
The part that is not answered is this....if my employer plan is unaffordable because I don't wish to participate in the ( time consuming, big brotherish, arm twisting ) wellness plan, will it make me ineligible? I doubt anyone really knows at this point, it's frustrating that we won't know anything until it's happening.
InsuranceLady

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2013 02:47 pm
@Kah52,
If your job-based coverage is less than 9.5% of your annual income, it is considered affordable and you would not qualify for the premium tax credit or cost-sharing from the Marketplace. However, if your job-based plan costs more than that or does not cover essential benefits, then you may enroll in the Marketplace.
0 Replies