There's an obvious word for this but I can't think of what it is

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 10:41 am
So I'm asking you guys. That frequently jogs things loose, or else gives me a totally other idea that's even better.

I'm trying to think of a word for type of information that appears on a website. These have been called "tip sheets" in the past, but they have been more print-focused. They're PDFs and readable online, but formatted to be printed as a single page with info on both sides.

The org is thinking of making the tip sheets more of an online thing -- no longer limited to two pages, more graphics, etc. Still highly condensed info, though. (Resources for deaf/hh people.)

Resources in brief? Digests? Just keep "tip sheets"? I really think there's something obvious that I just haven't been able to grab.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 12 • Views: 2,431 • Replies: 30

boomerang

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 11:04 am
@sozobe,
Fact sheet?

Fast facts?

Highlights?

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 11:05 am
@sozobe,
I like the Resources in Brief, maybe Resource digests.

Sounds like a great idea.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 11:25 am
@sozobe,
Community Spotlight
Web Extras
Webcasts

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 11:41 am
@sozobe,
FAQs?
sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 12:08 pm
@Ragman,
Thanks all!

They already have FAQs, this is a separate type of resource. They're pretty technical but are structured to be easy to refer to, not overwhelming.

"Fast Facts" and "Resource Digests" are both promising. Neither are the perfect term I'm thinking of (it's an internet term, same idea as FAQs), but that may not exist. Or maybe I'm thinking of FAQs after all, even though that doesn't fit here.
roger

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 12:13 pm
@sozobe,
Blurb?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 12:13 pm
If diagram-ish, it's an infographic.

PS Hiya!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 12:14 pm
@sozobe,
Maybe synopsys.
sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 12:19 pm
@roger,
Synopsis is closer.

It's not diagrammish (hiya!), it's mostly info conveyed via just plain text.

For example, one tipsheet might be about the ADA and how it applies to deaf/ hard of hearing people. It would have a lot of pertinent info, plus links, in a clear, easy-to-read format.

Currently it's all text -- no particular formatting and no graphics -- but the idea would be to start adding graphics (photos, etc.) and make it a little easier to read online, as opposed to printed out on a single piece of paper. Also a lot more links would be added (right now there aren't really any since it's meant to be printed).
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 12:19 pm
help sheets
field guide
booklet
leaflet
primer
catalogue
checklist
gazette
syllabus
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 12:20 pm
@sozobe,
Company profile

Summary

Overview...?
sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 12:25 pm
@Olivier5,
Ya know what, it just might be "overview" that I'm thinking of!

That fits pretty well.

Told you it was obvious.

That's not internet-specific and may not be what I'm thinking of or the ultimate best term, but that's promising.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 12:43 pm
@sozobe,
web term for overview would be site map
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 01:01 pm
@Butrflynet,
... or task line.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 01:04 pm
@sozobe,
Glad you found it!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 01:08 pm
@sozobe,
"Resources" might be a good term if you're using a lot of links to outside sources....
ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 01:11 pm
@boomerang,
Or Resource Overview - as someone interested in reading all that for Deaf and HH, the word 'resources' called out to me clearly.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 01:11 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

So I'm asking you guys. That frequently jogs things loose, or else gives me a totally other idea that's even better.

I'm trying to think of a word for type of information that appears on a website. These have been called "tip sheets" in the past, but they have been more print-focused. They're PDFs and readable online, but formatted to be printed as a single page with info on both sides.

The org is thinking of making the tip sheets more of an online thing -- no longer limited to two pages, more graphics, etc. Still highly condensed info, though. (Resources for deaf/hh people.)

Resources in brief? Digests? Just keep "tip sheets"? I really think there's something obvious that I just haven't been able to grab.

Thanks!

In certain sites...they would call those "thumbnails."

But I ain't gonna talk about them...cause you might get the right idea! Wink
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 03:16 pm
@boomerang,
The site already has a "resources" section, with a lot of longer, more in-depth items, this is a subset of the resources section.

Part of why I was thinking of something like "Resources in Brief."

Can also just take the format of something like "ADA: An Overview," within the resources section. (All of them would be "[thing]: An Overview.")