McTag, JTT, Contrex, Roger et al... please recommend some good books in your eye to read

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 06:01 am
Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 704 • Replies: 8
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
ehBeth

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 06:14 am
@oristarA,
http://able2know.org/topic/1042-1

329 pages of A2kers discussing books they are reading/like/don't like.
oristarA

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 06:54 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

http://able2know.org/topic/1042-1

329 pages of A2kers discussing books they are reading/like/don't like.

Thanks.

I mean those elegant, written in standard-English books.
I don't care about what others read.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 06:59 am
@oristarA,
Why are you asking some people to recommend books to read if you don't care about what other people read?

Have you read the thread I recommended to you?
oristarA

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 07:15 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Why are you asking some people to recommend books to read if you don't care about what other people read?

Have you read the thread I recommended to you?

Of course I've read some posts there.
But books vary in their style. Some in dialect, locally flavored words that pursuit to reveal some secrets and interesting plots that are beyond being elegant.
Those exquisite yet still down-to-earth books are scattered among the hills of common texts. To find them is a hard work for ESL students if miracles refuse to appear.
0 Replies

roger
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 12:34 pm
@oristarA,
For language studies written in American, the non-intellectual detective stories by Robert Crais, Michael Connelly, and maybe Nelson DeMille. They use a reasonably wide vocabulary of everyday words, but won't send you to a dictionary so often that you lose the sense of the story.

For military fiction, Harold Coyle is as good as it gets.

For romance novels, Nora Roberts is probably a good choice.

Edit to Add: Stay away from science fiction, horror, and fantasy. They have their own vocabulary that is simply other worldly.

My suggestions on authors is based on readability, not elegance.

oristarA

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 05:49 pm
@roger,

Thank you Roger.

The book that impresses you may be the best...
ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 05:55 pm
@oristarA,
You would be smart to not just make fun of 349 pages of what a2k readers think.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 01:27 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
Edit to Add: Stay away from science fiction, horror, and fantasy. They have their own vocabulary that is simply other worldly.

Not only that, anything involving time travel is banned in China.

Quote:
China's censors have long been known for their stringent approach to television, but now they are taking on an unexpected small screen menace – the inappropriate use of time travel.

Fans fear the heyday of the popular genre is over after Li Jingsheng, of the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television (Sarft), denounced such dramas' "frivolous" approach to history.

"Time travel dramas are becoming a hot theme for television and films. But the content and exaggerated performance style are questionable," Li, who heads the television drama management division, told a conference.

"Many stories are totally made up and are made to strain for an effect of novelty. The producers and writers are treating serious history in a frivolous way, which should by no means be encouraged any longer," he said.

A statement on the Sarft website warns companies to avoid "incorrect" shows, attacking time travel dramas for their "bizarre" plots and reinvention of myths and even for spreading feudal superstition.

The Xinmin Evening News, which first reported the story, said the administration was outlawing the genre. But experts said the new guidelines – although they already appear to have reined in producers – were not a ban as such.

"A warning – it is not an official ban – from Sarft is already strong enough," Professor Nie Wei, of the School of Movie and Television Drama Studies, at Shanghai University, said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/apr/14/china-time-travel-dramas
0 Replies