Beauty firm to use 'real women' in adverts

doglover

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 07:05 pm
Quote:
doglover- Good grief! You are right. Roaman's models look like size 10s. Lane Bryant's look a little heftier. Problem is, even the heavier models lack love handles and cellulite thighs. I must say though, that in one Lane Bryant ad, for a bra, the model DID look like a DDD

Ya know what I love? The panties models! Can you see a 275 lb woman in 'thigh high cut' panties??? You are right about Lane Bryant's models. Catherines clothing store uses slightly larger models in their ads too.

I think they are giving the message to larger size women that they really aren't attractive and aren't good enough to model their clothing. I know the thin models in the catalog make my SIL feel badly about her body.

Emme is a beautiful woman. I haven't seen her in probably two years or so. Heck, she probably can't find work. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 07:14 pm
Quote:
I think they are giving the message to larger size women that they really aren't attractive and aren't good enough to model their clothing.

I really wonder what is the rationale for the execs who develop the ad campaigns? To me, using slim models for large size clothing is downright cruel to heavy women. Or do the VPS of Lane Bryant and Roamans think that their customers are all in denial?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 07:22 pm
It's not a very clever way to get their target customers to buy, either, Phoenix.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 07:25 pm
I don't think the ad executives think larger women are in denial, I think they suffer from prejudice, plain and simple. That goes for the women executives as well as the men. Actually, I think women can be harder on other women who aren't what they consider to be 'slim enough'.

While we're at it, how about those fitness center ads" Locally, we have Bali's Fitness Centers and all their ads feature slim, attractive men and women in their ads. Same for Gold's Gym. All the guys are muscle bound, so this prejudice isn't limited to women at all.

I think Richard Simmons is the only fitness guru who features 'real' sized men and women in his ads, video covers....etc.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 07:46 pm
doglover

Maybe they're tring to say you too can look like this if you buy our product? Though this approach could put many a person off joining a gym!
Women only gymns are gaining in popularity in Oz. Less threatening, I guess.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 07:57 pm
Here in the state of Maryland we have a women's only gym called Curves and it's very popular. I think advertising that uses only so called 'beautiful people' attracts people who are already basically fit or only 10-20 pounds overweight.

Curves markets itself to the average woman who has gained 25-50 pounds either as a result of pregnancy or 'middle age spread'! That's part of the reason I think it has been so successful.

As for me, I ride my stationery bike for 30 minutes a day. It seems to do the trick and doesn't cost a thing!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 08:10 pm
Yes, I walk when the spirit moves me. Does the trick! Very Happy
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 08:43 pm
doglover- Funny that you should mention Curves. We have one here in Florida where I live, and a number of my girlfriends go there. This is really very strange. We have a completely equipped, up to the minute gym that is run by our community association. And it's free to residents of the community. Go figure?
0 Replies