T.S. Eliot

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 06:09 pm
Hello. I am new to the Poetry Forum and look forward to communicating with others who enjoy poetry. I have no questions at the moment but I do have a statement: I cannot stand T.S. Eliot's poetry. There. I said it. I don't see what is so wonderful about it. Is there anyone here who really, truly loves it? It's not as if I'm illiterate-- I have a degree in English and studied Eliot's poetry one semester.

Cheers!

ailsa
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,742 • Replies: 45
No top replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 06:12 pm
I hate how deeply people get into and analyze Frost. There... it does feel good to get that out.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 06:12 pm
I hate how deeply people get into and analyze Frost. There... it does feel good to get that out.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 08:24 pm
Well I do like T.S. Elliot. However, perhaps it isn't possible to account for taste. I dislike Milton, though many others whose taste and sensibilities I admire do like him. I like Robert W. Service very much, though, now he is generally considered second rate and passe.

Whose poetry do you like?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 08:32 pm
I'm an e e cummings kind of guy.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 08:38 pm
Could never stand poets who wouldn't capitalize ...
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 08:42 pm
I don't know... I've had poems that just looked horrible in caps, but were far better when I lowered the case a bit here and there.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 08:59 pm
Hi Ailsa, welcome to A2K. I'm also a poetry lover...we have many threads on original writings and poetry. My favorite thread is Spontaneous Poems, where we write poetry right off the top of our heads.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1332&highlight=
0 Replies

ailsagirl

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 09:05 pm
Thanks, everyone, for your input!! It's great to receive replies so quickly! As to who I like... well, it's a mixture:

Gerald Griffin
Wordsworth
Tennyson
Donne
Pope
Robbie Burns
Byron
Shelley
Leigh Hunt
Keats
Poe
Whitman
Clough
Arlington
Frost
Robert Louis Stevenson
Marianne Moore
Richard Herrick
Shelley
Antoine de Saint Exupery
Aeschylus
Shakespeare (of course!)
Alan Seeger

And I know there are more, but I can't recall them at the moment. As you can see, none are very modern!

ailsa
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 03:50 am
Hey, Ailsa! Welcome to A2K; I hope to see you around!

I dislike TS Eliot; any poet who's main work is waffle and requires over thirty pages of notes can't be that great.

My favourite poets are as follows:

Plath
Heaney
Hughes (especially Birthday Letters)
Larkin
Keats
Yeats
Shakespeare
Simon Armitage
Garcia Lorca
Paul Muldoon
Whitman
Dylan Thomas
Christina Rossetti
Dante
Anne and Emily Brontë
Luis Cernuda.

0 Replies

ailsagirl

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 09:21 pm
Poetry
Hi-- looks as if we like quite a few of the same poets. I also like some of Cavafy's work. Poetry is like music without the tune, if that makes sense. I have found it to be a solace to me when I've been down or lonely. And it's always such a delight to find a new poet in whose work one can lose oneself!

Where in Europe are you located? I'm in California

ailsa
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 11:28 am
Hey, ailsagirl. Welcome to A2K. I never cared for T.S.Eliot and the reason probably lies in the fact that I never "got" The Wasteland. I simply don't want to look it up, because that would be someone else's interp.

What's your take on that poem?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 11:34 am
I happen to like Elliot especial "love song of J Alfred Prufrock"
0 Replies

ailsagirl

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 04:39 pm
I have no idea...
Hi Letty,

I haven't the faintest idea of what the poem is about!! Sounds like stream-of-consciousness to me. I guess I must be more old-fashioned, because I like poems that rhyme and have meter. And mean something!

ailsa
0 Replies

ailsagirl

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 04:42 pm
Just curious...
Hi Dyslexia,

I'm glad you like TS Eliot. Could you tell me why? Not trying to put you on the spot or anything-- just curious as to why you like him. Or, at least, what is it about his poems that you like. I could very well be overlooking something significant.

Ailsa
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 04:51 pm
ailsagirl, er The Wasteland was written by T.S. Eliot. I think it must have been full of allusions concerning Mayerling.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0312963386/reviews/102-9647362-6436956

Try reading it sometimes.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 05:53 pm
I read all the lists with interest. I haven't any favourite poets, though I have a few favourite poems.

O.K....I have two favourites.

O.K.... I know two poems.

I shall try to hunt down some T.S. Elliot to see if I agree with you ailsagirl.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 07:53 pm
Ok..here it is:

http://www.bartleby.com/201/1.html

grrrrrrr!
0 Replies

ailsagirl

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 09:55 pm
To Letty
Hi Letty. Thanks for the link! I especially like the lines:

Twit twit twit
Jug jug jug jug jug jug
So rudely forc'd.
Tereu

Now what in God's name does that mean? If that were written today, the poet would be either ridiculed or ignored. Of course I'm taking it out of context, but even in context, to me it's a lot of nonsense.

OK, I admit that the first 11 lines are good-- then he loses me.

I do apologize if I am offending anyone but... I mean, really!!

If I said, "hey gang! I have this great poem I'd like to share," then quoted parts of The Wasteland, you'd all gag.

Am I not right?

Ailsa
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 06:44 am
Letty - I spent a few minutes at your link this morning and will return to it later when I have more time. Thank you. My first impression was positive - I enjoyed Burial for the Dead, but I admit to glazing over a little as I progressed past that. I need more time to familarize myself with the work.

Ailsa - I really don't know much poetry! I am an avid, but uneducated, reader. I giggled out loud when I read your twit twit twit reference and have to concur that I have a hard time determining its significance in the piece.
0 Replies