How Does One (or Many) Fix a Broken Culture?

farmerman

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 06:36 am
@BillRM,
Quote:

Strange thirty years ago a large percent of the major companies that are now creating most of the wealth in this nation did not even exist
If you recall, the entire industry was based upon series of electronic gizmos that were ideas of the 50's .
Wozniak and Jobs were playing with their little toy in the 70's. ANyway, creativity is a way of problem solving. If you want it to be only invested in a few, then we are gonna have a country with few idea people.

When we need to TEACH kids creaticity because their normal maturation process has taken it away, you may like to focus on the 0.000000001% of kids. I have to teach the 99.999999% in problem solving. Don't wallow in some useless individual accomplishments (BTW Wozniak, Jobs, Gates and Jones are products of the Baby Boom when play involved "make believe " and making do and making up stuff)
The losing o creativity is an international phenomenon as well.

farmerman

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 06:44 am
@farmerman,
BILL, Id suggest that you read Jonah Lehrners book Imagine;How creativity works Lerner is a millennial product and is an example of how muddle headed weve become in adapting such things as creative thinking. He goes on a tear about conflicting ancdotes of how we are /or are not creative and what we need to boost it.
All his xamples (like yours, are really about stuff that goes back 30 to 40 years) Bob Dylan,Post its, integrated circuits etc
BillRM

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 07:24 am
@farmerman,
Strange is it not that you are trying to down grade such things as PC as toys?

Name me once more such toys that had been created and growninto fortune ten companies in any other nation on earth. One so call toy in the EU or Japan or anywhere else for that matter.

Yes we are behind most of the advance world when it come to everything but the real world it would seems.

Sorry but no matter if you call the devices and ideas toys that had grown into trillion of dollars of economic wealth and that had change the world or not
maxdancona

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 07:28 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
The losing o creativity is an international phenomenon as well.

I see no evidence that we are losing creativity. Every generation old people talks about "the kids these days". This says more about the old people then any real problem with the young.
BillRM

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 07:32 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
He goes on a tear about conflicting ancdotes of how we are /or are not creative and what we need to boost it.

LOL as I had said the proof that is nonsense can be found from one end of the average home to the other end of the average home.

But if you wish to boast our creative I am all for it as I would love to get to visit another star system in my lifetime for example.

For now I guess we will just need to settle for the "toys" that had for example place a good percents of the human race knowledge at my command sitting at my mother table in my underwear and typing to you and a large number of others around the world.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 10:08 am
@BillRM,
Bill, will you jut sit down and try to absorb the facts. The PC is a "toy" of the last generation. The investigations that define creativity in problem solving and art etc are a condition of today.
Whats so hard to understand?

I frequently teach at an eite U and the basis for some kids thinking is amazingly stupid. The school teaches several "creativity" seminars for grad students in the hopes that something sticks.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 10:19 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Every generation old people talks about "the kids these days". This says more about the old people then any real problem with the young
Creativity is measurable and beyond simple developmental engineering. As a teacher I see the backburnering of creativity as a problem that is increasing. Really high SAT students often have no clue. Most all PhD work is mere "tip burnishing" of a mentors research. I was looking at really new stuff in some civil engineering diss and thesis topics. I could pick out a very smnall number. 30 years ago, more theses and diss were self juried topics and we had WWII instructors.The ones who actually took a 1920's wethermans idea and turned it into Continental Drift.
I can see that continuing with this will only become one of those multi page nyah nyah sessions which Ive vowed to stay away from.

LOOK at some of the relly dumb homework questions we get herein. I know its not a pandemic but
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 10:19 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Every generation old people talks about "the kids these days". This says more about the old people then any real problem with the young
Creativity is measurable and beyond simple developmental engineering. As a teacher I see the backburnering of creativity as a problem that is increasing. Really high SAT students often have no clue. Most all PhD work is mere "tip burnishing" of a mentors research. I was looking at really new stuff in some civil engineering diss and thesis topics. I could pick out a very smnall number. 30 years ago, more theses and diss were self juried topics and we had WWII instructors.The ones who actually took a 1920's wethermans idea and turned it into Continental Drift.
I can see that continuing with this will only become one of those multi page nyah nyah sessions which Ive vowed to stay away from.

LOOK at some of the relly dumb homework questions we get herein. I know its not a pandemic but
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 11:20 am
@farmerman,
Quote:

and it does not even have the virtue of being on topic.....
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 11:32 am
@farmerman,
s
Quote:
a teacher I see the backburnering of creativity as a problem that is increasing. Really high SAT students often have no clue. Most all PhD work is mere "tip burnishing" of a mentors research.

For whatever the amount of the truth to the above comment that likely to be the fault of the higher education system and not of the students.

Or in your field the people with the real drive cheerfully settle for a four years degree at least at first and go out into the field not trying to get a union card to a safe life.

You are likely looking for creativity in the wrong group.

Take note that Gate and his co-founders of Microsoft drop out of college, and that as far as I know so did the founder of facebook and on and on.

I once worked for a privately own business with a networth of a billion dollars where the founder did not get his engineering degree and yet developed devices that turn lab medical testings on it head. He did get a hell of a lot of honorary degrees over his lifetime however.

Hmm Steve Wozniak who design the Apple Two computer and was a millionaire many times over went back to college under an assume name to get his engineering degree for some strange reason.

The Wright brothers did high level mathematical calculations on propellers designs without any degrees.

The results was over 90 percents coupling of the engine power to the air where the "aircraft" design by a PhD under a government grant had a power coupling of 5o percents and ended up in the Potomac river.

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 11:42 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
You are likely looking for creativity in the wrong group.

outside of finding abundant cheap energy and keeping up the arts (AKA keep our spirits up) I cant think of how creativity would be useful at this point. I am slightly tempted to say that figuring out ways to feed and otherwise keep alive more humans would be good, but I know better. Creativity will be needed to birth the next civilization but we are not ready yet.

I was last week reading someone say that what we need is to get a space elevator invented so that we can mass vacate this dying planet but I dont see where moving solves anything.
BillRM

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 11:55 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
am slightly tempted to say that figuring out ways to feed and otherwise keep alive more humans would be good

You do know that the US birth rate is falling and falling sharply in all groups including the Spanish and blacks sub-groups?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 12:02 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
am slightly tempted to say that figuring out ways to feed and otherwise keep alive more humans would be good

You do know that the US birth rate is falling and falling sharply in all groups including the Spanish and blacks sub-groups?

I know that the best human genetic samples (who are often part of the most advanced nations) are using their brains to decide to have very few babies, and the worst samples are pumping out babies in mass, thus weakening the human gene pool. this does not end well.
farmerman

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 12:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

I know that the best human genetic samples (who are often part of the most advanced nations) are using their brains to decide to have very few babies, and the worst samples are pumping out babies in mass, thus weakening the human gene pool.
This is total bullshit. Random sex actually promotes hybrid vigor > Most of "the best" owe their stations to some ancestors on whom the successive generations merely progenate by inbreeding. Look at the Dupont family. They are merely recipients of the earnings of ancestors and present generations aren't even advancing any science or art.
Most of em are kinda nutbags. The only ones whove escaped are those whove "outbred"
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 12:28 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
This is total bullshit

and yet the smartest best looking people I know often have only one kid, often none, and when I used to frequent walmart I would often see members of the genetic underclass with several kids in tow. and it seems that ugly dumb people often mate with other ugly dumb people and dont have anything much to do so they fill up their lives by having kids....giving their kids almost no chance and weakening the gene pool.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 12:56 pm
@hawkeye10,
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x70/AnthonyMarr/Dear%20Homo%20Sapiens/80WorldPopulationGrowth.jpg
this is nothing less than alarming for the prospects of the human race.
BillRM

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 02:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
Shaking my head as the number of children couples have often relate to the likelihood that any given child will reach adulthood.

Even in the US we are only two to three generations pass the point where the chance of any child reaching adulthood was 50/50.

When a group move from a high death infant death rate situation to a lower one it normally take a generation or two for that group birth rate to fall as it is now doing for the South American immigrants to the norm of the US culture.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 02:55 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
....giving their kids almost no chance and weakening the gene pool.

You have no idea of what you speak. Your just sloganeering with a quasi biological phrase. Lethal genes are not a result pf a"weakening gene pool but of reinforcement of recessive traits an duplication of trait alleles by inbreeding. We have had more inbreeding among the Palatinate Germans, the Scotch Irish and Asians from the 19th through mid 20th century. When a population is freely mixing and, as is the case with the Hispanic community, composed of a large initial number of nubiles, "Weakening a gene pool" is almost a statistical impossibility. Instead the gene pool is conferred with hybrid vigor.

maxdancona

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 03:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
Where is this chart from? It is fiction.

It is not true that 1 third of the world is starving-- not even close.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 04:21 pm
@farmerman,
I am all for ethnic mixing if that is your point..my point is that defectives tend to mate with other defectives, which does weaken the pool. the solution is to dilute the flaws with good stock, or even better discourage defectives from having kids.