Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 02:30 pm
When I started making espresso at home, I used a machine. Not one of the glorious ones, the kitchen countertop version of a Dusenberg or Rolls Royce but a modest one from Crate and Barrell at around $30 - 60.

After 3 or 4 of those, I went to Salumeria in the North End and bought a Bialetti Moka made of aluminum which is a simple pot that works directly on the stove. Two years later, I replaced it because it had simply stopped working. I filled it with water, added ground coffee. Set it on the burner. Nothing. Two years later, I was ready for another one for the same reason.

The man who sold me the steel pot at Salumeria said that my story was the story of most of their customers.

Today, the handle snapped off the stainless steel pot. It was more than 6 years old but less than 12. Ten sounds about right.

I went to a local cookware shop and there were nothing but aluminum pots. Remembering my old experience and the man at Salumeria, I shied away from them. The woman at the shop became angry when I asked her about their life expectancy: "You were told false information," she nearly screamed.

But it was consistent with my experience.

I read reviews on AMazon. Apparently, people have had problems with Bialetti stainless steel products made either in China or India.

What can knowers here at a2k tell me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,380 • Replies: 9
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 02:36 pm
@plainoldme,
I have one - have to check the name, but not Bialetti. I got it at a thrift shop and used it back in Los Angeles quite a few times, but not since then. If nothing else, I love its looks. Anyway, I probably got it in the early nineties, and it was a used product at the time.

I might have posted a photo here at some point.
Anyway, back after I read the bottom of the moka, and look around for a photo.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 02:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Ok, mine is stainless, and at the bottom it says:

Made in Italy

acc INOX 18-10

those are in the outer circle of the 'label'

in the middle, are the letters gb - whatever that means.

This is still fine - I'm just lazy about using it.

Ah, this is it: http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mFm7d8LPN8tuztKb3WmvhQA.jpg

$49.99 on ebay (or best offer)
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/inox-18-10;jsessionid=35047F53E3B80A87B8C9B36226308A8F
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 02:57 pm
I thank Ticomayo every day of my life for gently teaching me how to spell expresso.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 03:48 pm
@roger,
Coffee makers that frown are so annoying.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 04:20 pm
I've been using my Bialetti without the handle. It works fine. Will buy a new one when my finances improve. Am tempted by the giant 12-cup espresso maker by Bialetti in aluminum. The prob is it is ugly.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 04:37 pm
@plainoldme,
As you know well, espresso depends at least partly on the beans. Me, I haven't been able to afford middle or wonderful beans for a while. I'm working on that.
plainoldme

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 07:42 pm
@ossobuco,
I buy beans roasted locally. There are many local roasters where I live. Just a half pound at a time but with summer here, I will be making cold brewed coffee which takes a lot more beans.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 07:48 pm
@plainoldme,
I've slim money and new mexico is not very up on all this.

I've had one wonderful coffee here, but they, the place seems to be out of business.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 07:49 pm
@plainoldme,
Yes, I've lived in those areas.

0 Replies