conductive difference between steel and stainless steel.

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 12:07 pm
I'm not finding much information on this topic and it's kind of bugging me. I'm repairing a hot start heating element for a diesel engine. It's for jacket water pre heat. There are 3 heating element powered by 440 and of course the have to have small metal buses (jumpers) to complete the circuit between each element. One of the jumpers burned up and I need to replace it. I don't have a piece of stainless steel handy of course but I do have a perfect piece of steel that would fit. My only concern is the conductive differences between the two metals, if applicable. Any information or references where I might find the information would be helpful. Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,063 • Replies: 4
No top replies

timur

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 12:36 pm
You are going to have a problem replacing stainless steel with steel (carbon iron).

They have different conductivities, either electrical or thermal.

Check here:

Electrical
Thermal
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 02:46 pm
@Gasca101,
Not knowing the dimensions of the size or thickness of the bus. If it's short and fat I'd suppose not much difference in resistance but i'll bet you could learn a lot more Googling; though it might take all day. So why not just try it and see what happens. If the bus stays cool you're okay. However stainless might survive longer
dalehileman

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 05:17 pm
@dalehileman,
So Gas did you proceed and how'd it work out
0 Replies

danielclinton

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 02:12 am
Generally, there are two types of conductivity first is Thermal conductivity and second is Electrical conductivity. Thermal conductivity runs through (Conduction is a mode of transfer of matter between bodies of matter that is caused by a temperature gradient).Electrical conductivity (EC) is a property that is used to describe how well materials allow electrons to flow.
0 Replies