Why are our ten commandments different than what the bible calls the ten commandments?

Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 08:12 am
As the title reads, "Why are our ten commandments different than what the bible calls the ten commandments?

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 08:26 am
@reasoning logic,
I don't have a set of ten commandments and I don't pay attention to the Bible's commandments either. So you have your own set of ten commandments? To each his or her own I guess.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 08:33 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
I don't have a set of ten commandments and I don't pay attention to the Bible's commandments either. So you have your own set of ten commandments? To each his or her own I guess.

I'm mainly asking those who do believe in the ten commandments of the bible because I thought that someone may be able to explain why they differ from what the bible calls the ten commandments.

Please feel free to share why you think they may differ even if you are a nonbeliever.
CoastalRat

Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 09:37 am
@reasoning logic,
I'm slightly confused (nothing unusual there.) Before anyone can answer, you may want to explain what the differences are between "our ten commandments" and "what the bible calls the ten commandments."
maxdancona

Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 10:33 am
@CoastalRat,
I think the second commandment has something to do with the right to shoot people.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 10:47 am
@CoastalRat,
Quote:
I'm slightly confused (nothing unusual there.) Before anyone can answer, you may want to explain what the differences are between "our ten commandments" and "what the bible calls the ten commandments."

I will share my observations and let you make up your own mind.

I would rather people read their bible and not believe me or anyone because I think it would be better for people to question everything and everyone and think about it for themselves.

These are the ten that most people claim to be the ten commandments.

Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.

Thou shalt not kill.

Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Thou shalt not steal.

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbor's.

This is what I found the bible has to say about the ten commandments.

I will start with the last verse first and then share the verses in order.

Exodus 34:28 (King James Version)
King James Version (KJV)

28 And he was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

10 And he said, Behold, I make a covenant: before all your people I will do marvels, such as have not been done in all the earth, nor in any nation: and all the people among whom you are shall see the work of the LORD: for it is an awesome thing that I will do with you.

11 Observe you that which I command you this day: behold, I drive out before you the Amorite, and the Canaanite, and the Hittite, and the Perizzite, and the Hivite, and the Jebusite

12 Take heed to yourself, lest you make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land where you go, lest it be for a snare in the middle of you:

13 But you shall destroy their altars, break their images, and cut down their groves:

14 For you shall worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:

15 Lest you make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land, and they go a whoring after their gods, and do sacrifice to their gods, and one call you, and you eat of his sacrifice;

16 And you take of their daughters to your sons, and their daughters go a whoring after their gods, and make your sons go a whoring after their gods.

17 You shall make you no molten gods.

18 The feast of unleavened bread shall you keep. Seven days you shall eat unleavened bread, as I commanded you, in the time of the month Abib: for in the month Abib you came out from Egypt.

19 All that opens the matrix is mine; and every firstling among your cattle, whether ox or sheep, that is male.

20 But the firstling of an ass you shall redeem with a lamb: and if you redeem him not, then shall you break his neck. All the firstborn of your sons you shall redeem. And none shall appear before me empty.

21 Six days you shall work, but on the seventh day you shall rest: in ripening time and in harvest you shall rest.

22 And you shall observe the feast of weeks, of the first fruits of wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end.

23 Thrice in the year shall all your male children appear before the LORD God, the God of Israel.

24 For I will cast out the nations before you, and enlarge your borders: neither shall any man desire your land, when you shall go up to appear before the LORD your God thrice in the year.

25 You shall not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven; neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of the passover be left to the morning.

26 The first of the first fruits of your land you shall bring to the house of the LORD your God. You shall not seethe a kid in his mother's milk.

27 And the LORD said to Moses, Write you these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.

28 And he was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 02:03 am
@reasoning logic,
Because it is all about being prudent, whether a believer, lack, or agnostic...

People are held accountable for what they do, say, think, feel and read...

Not just what is written in a book...
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 08:54 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

As the title reads, "Why are our ten commandments different than what the bible calls the ten commandments?

Probably because you're looking at the wrong chapter of Exodus. The bible sets forth the ten commandments twice (in Exodus:20 and Deuteronomy:5), and the two accounts aren't consistent (there's precedent for that - there are two creation stories in Genesis as well). In both versions, there are more than ten commandments, so it requires some editing and condensing to get them down to ten, but there's no agreement on how to do the editing. That's why Protestants and Catholics have different versions of the ten commandments.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 12:25 pm
@reasoning logic,
It is all about wisdom mate...not specifically every word written in one book...The words of God go beyond the Bible does...and there are many, many more than 10....wisdom...

Proverbs 4:7

7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

Notice it doesn't say the laws, faith, and it doesn't even say the Holy Spirit...it says wisdom...
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 03:16 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
Probably because you're looking at the wrong chapter of Exodus. The bible sets forth the ten commandments twice (in Exodus:20 and Deuteronomy:5), and the two accounts aren't consistent (there's precedent for that -

Yes I understand this but what I am interested in are the ten commandments given by God to Moses, written on stone tablets and referred to, "by the bible as being the ten commandments.

Maybe this person can explain it more clearly?

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 03:29 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
Not just what is written in a book...

Is this your way of saying you do not believe everything that is written in a book? "the bible"
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 07:50 pm
@reasoning logic,
No...it is not mate...it is my way of saying that the words of God extent beyond any one book...
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 05:22 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
the words of God extent beyond any one book..

Is there some sort of proof or evidence to this claim?
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 05:50 pm
@reasoning logic,
Is there some sort of proof or evidence that there is not?
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 06:28 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
Is this your way of saying you do not believe everything that is written in a book? "the bible"

Quote:
No...it is not mate...it is my way of saying that the words of God extent beyond any one book...

Quote:
Is there some sort of proof or evidence to this claim?

Quote:
Is there some sort of proof or evidence that there is not?

I do not have a problem with what people believe unless it is immoral against others.

I have no problem against people believing in the easter bunny or elves and I do not know of any evidence that can deny their existence but surly you do use this same logic to support their existence don't you?
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 06:48 pm
@reasoning logic,
That would all depend upon your own subjective view of what "evidence" is...
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 07:14 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
I have no problem against people believing in the easter bunny or elves and I do not know of any evidence that can deny their existence but surly you do use this same logic to support their existence don't you?

Quote:
That would all depend upon your own subjective view of what "evidence" is...

I am all ears, "What is your own subjective view about what you think"evidence" is?
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 08:10 pm
@reasoning logic,
What it personally takes to convince someone whether they believe something is truthful or not, and why they chose to believe the notion is truthful, or not...that correlates differently to every single person in the instant that they are exposed to whatever position is presented before them...that they can then only alter based upon reflections of why they had previously thought this notion was truthful or not and why...with how they could actually be incorrect, and why...

What is your own subjective view of what "evidence" is?
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 08:30 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
What it personally takes to convince someone whether they believe something is truthful or not, and why they chose to believe the notion is truthful, or not...that correlates differently to every single person in the instant that they are exposed to whatever position is presented before them...that they can then only alter based upon reflections of why they had previously thought this notion was truthful or not and why...with how they could actually be incorrect, and why...

Not that I can understand what you are sharing is correct but it does seem to add value to my understanding of reality.

Quote:
What is your own subjective view of what "evidence" is?

It is different than what most people hold to be true but I am able to relate emphatically to those who I disagree with at times, such as the conservatives who are mentioned in this video. I also agree with them at times such as this. Wink

0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 09:54 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
Yes I understand this but what I am interested in are the ten commandments given by God to Moses, written on stone tablets and referred to, "by the bible as being the ten commandments.

The bible doesn't refer to anything as the "ten commandments." The bible is filled with hundreds of commandments - those ten were later singled out by biblical scholars, not by god. Jesus, when asked which was the greatest commandment, chose two (Matt:22), so it would be just as valid to talk about the "two commandments" as the "ten commandments." It's all pretty arbitrary.

reasoning logic wrote:
Maybe this person can explain it more clearly?

I can understand your confusion if you insist that the commandments inscribed on the stone tablets must have been the ten commandments. But the bible never says that. Hollywood said that in The Ten Commandments, but most biblical scholars don't accept Cecil B. DeMille as an authority in this regard.