Can we get any stupider?

George

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 04:19 pm
uh... is that stuff really made out of blood?
0 Replies

kev

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 04:39 pm
George wrote:
uh... is that stuff really made out of blood?

Pigs Blood
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 05:24 pm
kev wrote:
Pigs Blood

Eeeewwwweeeeee! Shocked
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 05:37 pm
kev : bloodpudding ( or blutwurst, as they call it in germany ) lightly fried in butter, served over mashed and sauerkraut, garnished with fried onions , a quart of dark beer; that's "haute cuisine" for me any day. to jazz it up, half a bloodpudding and half a fresh liverwurst (it's a special kind, served hot ) is also very good. hbg
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 06:16 pm
Physicians:
a. The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.
b. Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year 120,000.
c. Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.
(Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services)
Now think about this:
Guns:
a. The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000.
b. The number of accidental gun deaths per year (all age groups) is
c. The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is 0.000188.
Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than
gun owners.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 12:35 am
Doctors don't set out to kill people, but a lot of gun owners do.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 12:41 am
Re: Can we get any stupider?
If this were olden days they'd chop his hand off. He's lucky he was just suspended.

Seriously though. whose the idiot that suspended him for such a petty thing?
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 12:46 am
i would never trust that surgeon, nobody in their right mind would eat croutons, much add more. that guy need treatment.

croutons, vile, vile stuff.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 01:35 am
roverroad wrote:

The "Queen's Medical Centre NHS Trust", his employer.
Quote:
"The Trust would like to acknowledge that this has been a difficult time for Mr Hope, who is a valued member of our surgical team," she said.

"When Mr Hope was suspended, we took immediate steps to minimise any impact on patient care and ensured that any emergencies would be dealt with by his consultant colleagues.

"The three patients who had their surgery postponed during the five days that Mr Hope was suspended will now be contacted to agree an earliest possible date for their surgery.

"We can also confirm that those patients due for surgery on Monday will be operated on by Mr Hope. We apologise to all our patients and their families for any inconvenience or anxiety that may have been caused.

"Mr Hope understands that a matter had been raised which the Trust had an obligation to look into using our disciplinary procedure.

"The matter has now been investigated and resolved to the satisfaction of the Trust and Mr Hope, who is pleased to be returning to work."

He's back to normal work since Thursday.

It has been a disciplinary procedure, due to ...
Quote:
Precise details of the case have not previously been made public[that was on Tuesday, still true today. W.H.], but it emerged yesterday that a key element was the canteen's decision last year to ditch its own soup in favour of Baxters, which is dearer.
The canteen raised the price from 83p to £1.03 last year and that, coupled with concerns of size of portions, has led to animosity among staff.
In the canteen, alongside a Baxters sign, is a warning that says a portion of soup is equal to one ladleful , and "overfilled cups or bowls will incur an extra charge".
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 01:40 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
roverroad wrote:

The "Queen's Medical Centre NHS Trust", his employer.

I know, that was my way of saying the person that made the decision needs to find better things to do with their time.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:51 am
A pound + 3 p? That would irritate me. Make it a round pound so it takes one coin to pay instead of three or four.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 11:14 am
patiodog wrote:
A pound + 3 p? That would irritate me. Make it a round pound so it takes one coin to pay instead of three or four.

Seems to irritate many US-Americans, but we in Europe are used to 1 € 54 cent as well as £1.03 (both would be $ 1.87) :wink:
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 03:17 pm
DON'T OVERFILL YOUR CUP ! walter wrote : " In the canteen, alongside a Baxters sign, is a warning that says a portion of soup is equal to one ladleful , and "overfilled cups or bowls will incur an extra charge" . ... when we were in berlin last fall and had lunch at the cafeteria in the KA-DE-WE shopping centre, we were quite surprised to find that much of the food was sold by weight - put the filled plate on the scale and a weight/price ticket was produced. canadians are used to fill their plates to the brim and then some ! and not have to pay an "overweight" charge ! (we do that later when the good doctor puts as an a diet of lettuce and water - we'll gladly pay for overpriced diet-food). hbg
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 04:16 pm
How can they go on about proportionality... when his taking a few croutons could save quite a few lives.

0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 06:01 pm
I found this link and remembered this thread.
What others had to say about it.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 06:22 pm
Hmmmm....well, after three years working in the adult ED at Hopkins I have to say that most captive neurosurgeons subsist on turky clubs from Subway! Very Happy
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 08:57 pm
hamburger wrote:
DON'T OVERFILL YOUR CUP ! walter wrote : " In the canteen, alongside a Baxters sign, is a warning that says a portion of soup is equal to one ladleful , and "overfilled cups or bowls will incur an extra charge" . ... when we were in berlin last fall and had lunch at the cafeteria in the KA-DE-WE shopping centre, we were quite surprised to find that much of the food was sold by weight - put the filled plate on the scale and a weight/price ticket was produced. canadians are used to fill their plates to the brim and then some ! and not have to pay an "overweight" charge ! (we do that later when the good doctor puts as an a diet of lettuce and water - we'll gladly pay for overpriced diet-food). hbg

Hmmm. Hospital cafeterias in Seattle (Children's and the UW Medical Center) had salad and sandwich bars where you were charged by weight.

On the "fill to the line" thing... The gf and I once went to a McCrapolds in Bremen (it was a Sunday in August, the town was apparently deserted, and it was the only place we found open; even our hotel wasn't serving food) and our drinks were filled exactly to a line about a centimeter below the rim of the cup. Like, exactly to this line, not a millimeter higher. It amazed me that the 16-year-old behind the counter could be this anal-rententive about something that had no real bearing on his life...
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 08:59 pm
I am soooo glad Harborview had the little latte and soup stand in the main hallway! I loved the Chicken Florentine soup at 3:00 AM! Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 09:00 pm
I'm frankly surprised that anyone would be surprised at that. I've seen this "pay by weight" system in delis, cafeterias and at grocery store salad bars for 15 or 20 years.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 09:02 pm
Perhaps the scale should be under the customers? Wink
0 Replies