Value of Internet Service Provider Lists

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 09:14 am
I'm the treasurer of our condo association (it's a small association, no outside management company). Normally, we rely on our maintenance man to maintain stuff around the building and perform other necessary tasks. Now, however, he is scaling back on some tasks, such as shoveling snow (he says he has a bad back and can't do it any more). Also, some of the service providers that he has recommended in the past haven't been entirely satisfactory (e.g. roofers and painters). We've come to rely on him, however, because, to be honest, we don't know much about hiring service providers. Speaking for myself, I bought a condo primarily because I didn't want to deal with those kinds of things, and I'm sure I'm not the only one in the building who feels this way.

Now I'm thinking we might benefit from getting on a list of service providers, like Angie's List, which supposedly has honest reviews from a wide range of customers. Those sorts of things cost money, though, so I'd need to justify the expense to the rest of the condo owners, and I don't have any experience with these lists. Are they worth it? Are there any no-cost alternatives?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 803 • Replies: 4
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 09:32 am
@joefromchicago,
Boomer just wrote this this morning -
http://able2know.org/topic/213226-1#post-5312000

Good luck - I've worked in an architectural field in my past, and for my own house, I'd hire people via word of mouth and that often worked but sometimes not, grrrr. In California - don't know about other states - it's a good idea for many projects to hire someone with a state license, because there is recourse if they mess up what they've written they would do in a contract with you.

Also there may be associations of different kinds of workers - roofing contractors, for example.

If I were you, I might ask around to some other condo associations, and see what they say.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 09:48 am
@ossobuco,
In both fields I worked - medicine and landscape architecture - we would always give three names to a client who asked, people we thought were good and had experience with, but we also tended to avoid the word recommendation and explain why.

As a potential hirer of a provider, I'd definitely interview several people for a given job.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 10:33 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Boomer just wrote this this morning -
http://able2know.org/topic/213226-1#post-5312000

Thanks. I had not seen that thread.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 06:52 pm
@joefromchicago,
There's more info on that thread..