is messaging and texting the same?

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 11:04 am
I had a friend say they don't like to text, so that also means typing right? I sent them a message but they read it and didn't reply, so I'm thinking they don't like to type. let me know what you guys think.

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 11:10 am
@cornelljdav,
Technically they're different I believe. Instant messaging uses the phones internet/data plan while texting sends the messages using the phone service. To me, they're basically the same but you have to be signed into the service to actually see the instant message while the person will always get the text if his phone is on and he's within his phone service coverage.
hingehead

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 08:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
As tsar guesses, the underlying technologies are different. Texting uses SMS, an international telecommunication standard whereas IM can use any of a number of protocols http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_instant_messaging_protocols. With xmpp probably being the most likely vendor independent protocol

I can't quite pin down what apple messages uses, seems like its a hybrid of SMS and IM.

But as far as your friend is concerned they both require typing.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » is messaging and texting the same?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.78 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 06:31:02