Good, Bad, and Wrong Words

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 08:58 am
Good, Bad, and Wrong Words
On the face of it one word is as good as another, providing it states what is meant correctly. It is little more than Saxon-Norman history that we say cafe or restaurant, rather than something like eatery. And there is far more to words than clinical accuracy. There is romance, passion, and raw violence. Some terms are purely clinical, such as coitus. Rather more feeling is the word intercourse. Making love is romantic. And who has heard a youth, when annoyed, say 'coitus off'. They say f*** off! Why? Because it is plain Anglo-Saxon, raw, violent, and without a trace of romance. It is term that denotes rape rather than any good feelings. It is meant to be vulgar, violent, and nasty, and so it is made to be. Therefore, if any ordinary newspaper or book, read by all and sundry including children, should not contain any, or more than a few such terms. It debases language, and reduces it to unfeeling banality.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,256 • Replies: 4
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 09:36 am
@RW Standing,
Quote:
It is term that denotes rape rather than any good feelings.

I don't believe this is true at all.

The phrase "do you want to ****?", from the right person, can be quite romantic.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 03:36 pm
I agree with Max.

"It is term that denotes rape rather than any good feelings."

I'd say it denotes disdain or expresses abandonment. What is supposed to be intimacy is now about being rebuked. It is dismissing you.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 03:42 pm
@RW Standing,
The word "****" can also express friendship. In some circumstances my use of the word "*******" expresses that I am comfortable enough around you to let my guard down.

In this case it is a compliment. It means that I see you as a buddy and want you to be part of the gang.

After the marathon attack, Big Papi (a local baseball hero) stood in front of everyone to say "This is our ******* city!". We all took this as a great compliment. He is one of us.

maxdancona

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 03:47 pm
@maxdancona,

0 Replies