Rabbit Revolt

Noddy24

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 04:30 pm
Cute bunny packs a bite

Tuesday, March 23, 2004

SCOTT DAVIS
THE SAGINAW NEWS

Most see rabbits as cute, fluffy, bouncy animals that can brighten any child's day.

They also have a killer bite.

A 2-year-old St. Charles girl is recuperating today after her pet rabbit bit her last week, severing her right index finger at the knuckle.

Although such injuries by rabbits are very rare, animal experts say the incident points up the need for safety around rabbits, especially with Easter and Peter Cottontail fast approaching.

"We get complacent with them because we think of them like an Easter Bunny thing. They look cute," said Mark Wachner, Saginaw County Animal Care Center director. "But they can be aggressive. They can lay a pretty nasty bite on you, like a giant hamster."

Nevertheless, Wachner and others say rabbits can remain a relatively safe pet for a household as long as owners and children exercise caution.

"They are cute and furry, but I don't remember Peter Cottontail saying 'Come pet me,' " said Dr. Elizabeth S. Walton, owner of Freeland Animal Clinic. "They're safer than some other pets, but they still have teeth."

The girl's mother, Jenny Decker, said her child -- whom she did not want to name -- was with an adult friend Wednesday morning as he was feeding two pet rabbits in Decker's back yard.

The child placed her hand in a cage to pet her 3-year-old rabbit, and the rabbit bit off her finger, Decker said.

Ambulance crews treated the child at her home, and she underwent surgery for the wound at Covenant Medical Center Cooper in Saginaw that night.

Family members said the digit is lost and was not reattached.

"I would never have thought a rabbit would do this," said the child's grandmother, Debra Haremski of Saginaw Township. "It was absolutely devastating. She has so many years ahead of her."

Decker said her daughter has improved since the incident, although she still is reluctant to put on shirts, apparently because of pain to her hand.

"She told me the bunny was bad, and had to go into the corner," Decker said.

But the child apparently holds no grudges. Haremski said the girl since has picked out a stuffed bunny to buy at a store.

Decker said she was surprised because the animal hadn't shown such aggressive behavior before. Doctors have asked her to keep the pet for at least 10 days to watch for signs of disease, and then she plans to find a new home for both rabbits.

She said hopes parents will become more careful with their children around rabbits.

"Don't take them for granted," Decker said. "They've got sharper teeth than we realize."

Especially troublesome are a rabbit's front double incisors.

"Their teeth are designed to cut through wood," Walton said.

Wachner said his staff always wears thick, leather gloves when dealing with rabbits to protect against bites and swipes from their back claws, which are powerful and quick.

If a child wants to pet a rabbit, Walton advises an adult to hold it first and then allow the youngster to interact with it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,327 • Replies: 11
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 04:48 pm
Quote:
"I would never have thought a rabbit would do this," said the child's grandmother, Debra Haremski of Saginaw Township. "It was absolutely devastating. She has so many years ahead of her."

Poor Granny. She thinks the child's life has come to a tragic end because of the loss of a friggin' digit.

She must believe children with missing fingers are placed on some sort of remote island, a sort of leper colony, to live out their remaining days, their value to society rendered useless because of the tragic loss of the aforementioned digit.

GET OVER IT GRANNY!!!

She will adapt.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 04:53 pm
I knew rabbits were revolting.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 05:17 pm
Just don't provoke us...
0 Replies

kev

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 11:42 am
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only good rabbit is one under a crust.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 03:49 pm
Kev--

I liked the rabbits in Watership Down.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 03:59 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Kev--

I liked the rabbits in Watership Down.

What even the psychopathic killers with blood streaming from their jaws? Rabbits are supposed to eat lettuce.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 04:02 pm
Geese are supposed to eat bread - but they always seem to go after kids' fingers...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 04:20 pm
Nature red in tooth and claw. Rabbits is nature, even fictional rabbits.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 04:44 pm
Yes, fictional rabbits...like in the movies Harvey and Donnie Darko....don't trust those long-eared beasts, they will get into your head and tell you to kill. Many years of being subjected to predation have made them mean and nasty, and unfortunately clever.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 05:18 pm
:wink: Yeppers.....
0 Replies

haremskid

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 01:13 am
never , she is everything to me,it is just heartbreacking
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Quote:

Poor Granny. She thinks the child's life has come to a tragic end because of the loss of a friggin' digit.

She must believe children with missing fingers are placed on some sort of remote island, a sort of leper colony, to live out their remaining days, their value to society rendered useless because of the tragic loss of the aforementioned digit.

GET OVER IT GRANNY!!!

She will adapt.
0 Replies