Fascination with filmed suicide

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 02:58 pm
I remember recently there was a news special on some guy who had some crazy fascination with Bjork, and he had videotaped himself making bombs, planning how he was going to kill her, and ultimately, his own suicide. I know this is gruesome, but I wanted to see the guy commit suicide, which was cut from the program.

My question is this. Why do some think it is strange or wrong for a person to be interested in seeing something like this?

I think it is fascinating, not because I get some kind of sick thrill out of it, but just for the sheer curiousity. I'm pretty sure I would have probably been sickened and disgusted by it if I had seen it, but I am curious. And what's more, I don't think this is strange at all. I think it's human nature, and people who think it's sick or wrong to have this curiosity are not being honest with themselves about it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,845 • Replies: 31
No top replies

onyxelle

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 03:03 pm
i personally don't want to see anyone commit suicide....but hey, if that's your donut..eat it up...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 03:04 pm
Lie down boy.......and ven did you start to haf these feelings? Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 03:13 pm
A few years ago a state senator in Pa, held a news conference to announce his resignation. He was undergoing an investigation into criminal activities involving his office and kickbacks (I believe that was the investigation)
Right there on the news conference, which was run live, he pulled out a big pistol from a paper bag he had lying on the podium. He stuck the gun in his mouth and blew the back of his head off. wat really amazed me was how his head popped back and he dropped like a bag of cement. Yeh , pretty sickening, my boy was watching with me and it happened so fast that we saw it all. I didnt know what to say to the kid , and for a couple of days I had him ask all kinds of questions . Many of the answers , I made up to be a little manipulative so the kid would see how this wasnt any act to take pride in.
I wouldnt want to watchh again .
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 03:14 pm
I was only thinking about it because I'm reading a book wherein the main character is basically a sex maniac reprobate who is contemplating suicide. Something in the book made me think about it.

I'm not some death freak, I just think it's completely natural to be curious.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 03:54 pm
I've seen people die (in the ER setting). I was there for a purpose, so I didn't feel voyeuristic. I know I felt a sense of reverence at those moments, and I'm not a particularly religious person.

I suppose we all have our own ways to react to the moment of death. Americans tend to avoid it, hence the interest. It's forbidden in our culture--one of the few human events that are still taboo.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 04:03 pm
I saw that suicide Farmerman mentioned...on the internet somewhere.

Kicky, if you want to watch suicides, go rent(if they're still out) "Faces of Death." I think there's three different ones, and they show all types of stuff like that.

And Kicky, it's only sick if you want to have sex with the body after they're dead. I finally learned that in therapy. But I'm a good person.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 04:08 pm
I think I am somewhat curious, but I think it is disgusting enough to overwhelm my curiosity. I don't know if disgusting is the best word. I think I would feel sad and ashamed, without knowing why.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 04:22 pm
If I was going to commit suicide I would totally want to see it on film, and...oh wait, I just remembered, the suicidal aren't always very well thought out. Laughing
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 04:30 pm
I've seen people get killed (or at least so I thought), but never a suicide. The first time was a woman in Boston, in my car on the T, got off, walked right out into Commonwealth Ave - splat! She forgot to look.

Second time was an accident on the freeway, person must have fallen asleep, went up an embankment, came back down, head on with light pole at 65MPH. Light pole came down right behind me.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 04:39 pm
If I committed suicide I would climb up onto a telephone pole and tie a rope to my neck and the pole, then I would tie a thin wire around my neck, and tie that to the telephone pole as well. Then I would super glue my hand to my head, and jump. If all went well, the wire would cut off my head, which would still be attached to my hand, and then the thick rope would snag, so I'd be hanging there decapitated and holding my head in my hand. It would be nice if there were some way for me to have a volleyball with a face drawn on it end up on top of my neck... but I haven't really thought this out very well yet.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 04:44 pm
SCoates wrote:
but I haven't really thought this out very well yet.

Laughing Laughing Laughing ROTFLMAO!!!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 04:46 pm
SCoates wrote:
If I committed suicide I would climb up onto a telephone pole and tie a rope to my neck and the pole, then I would tie a thin wire around my neck, and tie that to the telephone pole as well. Then I would super glue my hand to my head, and jump. If all went well, the wire would cut off my head, which would still be attached to my hand, and then the thick rope would snag, so I'd be hanging there decapitated and holding my head in my hand. It would be nice if there were some way for me to have a volleyball with a face drawn on it end up on top of my neck... but I haven't really thought this out very well yet.

Funny as heck - SICKO Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 04:54 pm
Well, I am a man of strong family values, so if I were to commit suicide I would hire a hit man so it looked like murder, and therefore my life insurance wouldn't be null and void. Gotta think of the kids and all.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 05:08 pm
cav, you gotta plan these things carefully.
i just saw in the news that some guy wanted to nail himself to a cross. By himself, SO, wait a minute , this is true. He managed to nail one hand to the cross. .... duhhh
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 05:20 pm
That reminds me of an old song farmerman, "I got limbs that dangle dangle dangle..." or something like that.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 05:22 pm
Slappy, I did see Faces of Death. It was interesting, but in the end, it made me kind of depressed and queasy.

Once I was in a bar with my cousin and her best friend (Colleen? I can't remember her name for sure). It was Colleen's birthday, so we were all partying and having a good time, when she decided it would be fun to slide down this railing on the stairs that went from the upper level of the bar to the bottom. It was a huge dance club, and the second level was at least twenty-five or thirty feet up. I was right behind her. She lost her balance and I tried to grab her, but I was too late. She fell off the railing backwards and I saw her falling all the way down to the cement floor. Even through the noise and the music, I swear I could hear her head when it hit the floor.

I remember that almost immediately the house lights came on, and people gathering around her. I almost passed out when I got down to her. I saw people actually laughing, and that made me sick. How could people actually laugh at something like that?

She didn't die that night, but her skull was all but crushed, and she died in the hospital two days later.

I wish I hadn't seen that.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 05:39 pm
Faces of Death is mostly faked. The only real footage in there is the post death stuff and one of the suicides.

Kicky, if you have seen someone you know die, (sort of), and you wish you hadn't, then why do you want to watch someone you don't know suicide? Seems a bit contradictory.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 05:46 pm
I'm just talking about the curiosity. When I see something like that, I am curious. It's like something I know I'm going to regret, but I am inexplicably drawn to it. Like eating Mexican food.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 05:58 pm
Eva wrote:
SCoates wrote:
but I haven't really thought this out very well yet.

Laughing Laughing Laughing ROTFLMAO!!!

I've never found out what that stands for. Little help?
0 Replies