Curling straight stubborn hair- Beginner

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 05:07 am
Hi All,

I want to curl my hair and it is my first time. I have never straightened them or styled them on my own. When i get my hair styled in a salon on special occasions, I tend to always hear from my stylist that i have stubborn straight hair that do not hold curls.
Nevertheless, i would really like to get independent on this front. Let me know what is the best way for me- hot rollers or curling irons.. Also please suggest any specific brands i should buy..

Thanks.. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 978 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 10:10 am
@hairandme,
It'll help a bit to know what race you are. Most Asian folks (not all) have extremely straight hair and I suspect it may be more resistant to taking and holding a curl.

Anyway - what I have always been told is that it's a body thing. That is, hair that is kinda limp and damaged is going to have problems taking on all sorts of styling, versus healthier hair.

For me (I am a white woman), curling irons were usually good for quick styles but they didn't last as long. Hot rollers took longer to get it to set, but the curl tended to last longer, too.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 03:10 pm
@hairandme,
Just this morning, while at the local automotive shop to have the oil changed and emissions tested on my car, I read in one of the magazines of women returning to using nothing but bobby pins to curl their hair. This was all the rage in the US up until the late 60's and 70's when we were letting our hair grow long and using soda cans as curlers or braiding our wet hair to create waves.

The article said after washing and lightly drying your hair, you take 1 inch strands of hair and twist it in a direction away from the face, continuing with the twisting until it is tight against your head, and fasten it with two bobby pins. Let the hair dry naturally and you'll have a very tight, long-lasting curl. For more relaxed curls or slight wave, completely dry the hair and leave the pin curls in place for only 30 minutes.

I'm thinking of giving it a try myself.
0 Replies