Is Philosophy Necessary To Assure Quality of Education

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 09:15 pm
I am sure it is but many against .....?!!
How do you think are you with, against or not sure ?!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,666 • Replies: 22
No top replies

MattDavis

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 09:31 pm
@eisanature,
This is a very broad question Eisanature.
Could you narrow this down to a specific age of student and/or circumstance?
It could very well be argued that all knowledge is a subset of philosophy.
eisanature

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 09:43 pm
@MattDavis,
should every educational system has a philosophy ...or it is not necessary to have a philosophy of education
MattDavis

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 10:24 pm
@eisanature,
So you mean to discuss the principles of education.
Rather than whether or not philosophy should be emphasised within an educational curriculum.
Is that what you mean to discuss?
eisanature

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 11:15 pm
@MattDavis,
No I am discus the Place and Signification of "Philosophy" to Quality of Education ....

I have a lot of topics in LinkedIn you are welcome
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 10:50 am
@eisanature,
Eis how could anyone possibly be against the teaching of philosophy
It's like the discouragement of thinking
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 04:51 pm
@eisanature,
I think early education--the first 12 years--should include more of the humanities, particularly philosophy, the arts and the social sciences. It troubles me that whenever education is criticized, this involves the call for more math classes but very little that would improve the literary and thinking skills involving language.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 10:44 am
@JLNobody,
Good one JL, absolutely

The Establishment 'way underestimates the youngster
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 06:33 pm
@eisanature,
eisanature wrote:

As an undergraduate in college in Chicago I took philosophy as an elective.

I remember that I took it during the Fall semester and I was studying Plato, at home one very cold Winter day, when some gunmen burst into the apartment under mine.

Many shots were fired, and the gunmen were wounded by a Policeman who was visiting a friend in the apartment being robbed. The criminals escaped leaving a trail of blood behind them.

I never forgot that day, not because of the philosophy I was reading, but because I came very close to having my face shot off. The gunmen had stopped outside of my door, to see if anyone was home. Not hearing any noise they proceeded to the downstairs apartment. I was very lucky, as my apartment door was unlocked and anything could have happened if the robbers had just tried my door knob.

I was also very lucky, that when the robbers stood outside my apartment door, the floor made a distinct noise. So, I knew someone was outside, waiting.

That course, in Chicago, was the first and last philosophy course I ever took!
Foofie

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 07:00 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

eisanature wrote:

As an undergraduate in college in Chicago I took philosophy as an elective.

I remember that I took it during the Fall semester and I was studying Plato, at home one very cold Winter day, when some gunmen burst into the apartment under mine.

Many shots were fired, and the gunmen were wounded by a Policeman who was visiting a friend in the apartment being robbed. The criminals escaped leaving a trail of blood behind them.

I never forgot that day, not because of the philosophy I was reading, but because I came very close to having my face shot off. The gunmen had stopped outside of my door, to see if anyone was home. Not hearing any noise they proceeded to the downstairs apartment. I was very lucky, as my apartment door was unlocked and anything could have happened if the robbers had just tried my door knob.

I was also very lucky, that when the robbers stood outside my apartment door, the floor made a distinct noise. So, I knew someone was outside, waiting.

That course, in Chicago, was the first and last philosophy course I ever took!

Is there a moral to your story? Or just that the ancient pagan Greek Gods were watching over you? You might have proved, in a sample size of one, that philosophy might have life saving benefits?
Miller

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 07:09 pm
@Foofie,
How about, always lock your door when you're at home?

An even better one: always carry a loaded gun on your hip and another one on your leg. Better safe, than sorry!

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 07:17 pm
@eisanature,
The word 'philosophy' in Greek simply means 'love of knowledge.' How could anyone be against that? The only problem I can see with the way philosophy is being taught today is that it seems to have become an exercise in semantics, not a search for actual understanding. Scholars quibble about definitions of the words they are using rather than addressing the substance of the argument. All too often such discourse sinks to the level of 'what do we mean when we say "nothing" ' , a largely meaningless pageant of pedantry.

But, that said, I think a survey course in philosophy should never be relegated to the status of 'elective.' It should be a required subject for all undergraduates, particularly those in any liberal arts major at all.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 07:20 pm
@Miller,
And this has precisely what to do with the subject at hand?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 10:45 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
By definition a survey course in philosophy will be a superficial examination of part of the range of perspectives . But that range is itself an important observation. It is better to have a broad cosmopolitan worldview than the narrow one characteristic of those disparaged as hicks.
Introductory philosophy does that will respect to famous intellectual perspectives just as introductory anthropology does with a range of cultures.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 03:55 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

How about, always lock your door when you're at home?

An even better one: always carry a loaded gun on your hip and another one on your leg. Better safe, than sorry!

Even in states where having a gun is allowed, the presence of a gun ups the ante, so to speak. What could have just been a robbery can escalate to a murder. In my opinion, guns are for war or the police only.

dalehileman

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 04:04 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
guns are for war or the police only
Surely Foof you wouldn't deny my sons and I the fun of a Saturday afternoon off in the boondocks targeting clay pigeons
Foofie

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 04:12 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
guns are for war or the police only
Surely Foof you wouldn't deny my sons and I the fun of a Saturday afternoon off in the boondocks targeting clay pigeons

Since burglaries do result in legal guns getting into the hands of criminals, I would prefer that you and your sons develop another way to enjoy a Saturday afternoon together. Perhaps a walk together, and lunch at a restaurant? Nothing fancy; just a sandwich and soda?
Miller

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 04:17 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

In my opinion, guns are for war or the police only.

In my opinion, fewer females would be raped and beaten up if they were armed with a loaded gun.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 04:20 pm
@Foofie,
Good input, FOOFIE...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 04:28 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Nothing fancy; just a sandwich and soda?

Soda? But wouldn't that cause a decay to one or more of your teeth? Then you'd have to have the bad(!) tooth extracted. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies