Grammar question

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 12:24 pm
I picked the sentences below out of a fiction book. I'm trying to improve my grammar, and I like to know why there know conjunction between the two clauses. Shouldn't there be a conjunction between nightmare and the?

Jacob wished he could wake up from this nightmare, the one he was living, but this was no delusion.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 587 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 12:40 pm
@learning100,
Can't comment authoritatively on that...but the second "know" in your second sentence should be "no."

Gotta be careful with that if you want to improve your grammar.
roger

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 12:45 pm
@learning100,
No. It is the same nightmare. That is, the nightmare he was having is also the one he is was living.

0 Replies

learning100

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 11:38 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Thank you, Frank and Roger. I know that I have a lot to learn, and I appreciate the help.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 03:07 am
"But" is a conjunction.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 12:52 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Gotta be careful with that if you want to improve your grammar.

Spelling has nothing to do with grammar, Frank.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 12:53 pm
@learning100,
Jacob wished he could wake up from this nightmare, which was the one he was living, but this was no delusion.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 05:57 pm
@JTT,
Forgive me JTT but for some reason I like it better without
JTT

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 07:53 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Forgive me JTT but for some reason I like it better without

There's no need to apologize for your preferences, Dale.

My offering,

Jacob wished he could wake up from this nightmare, which was the one he was living, but this was no delusion.

was not an endorsement for my stylistic preference. Those are pretty much useless to ESLs. They need to, and want to, understand the underlying structure.

I know that that was the way English was taught when you and I were young 'uns but it was only done that way because the vast vast vast majority of English teachers didn't know their verbs from a pennywhistle.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 08:54 pm
I liked the original better too. "which was" was unnecessary and made the sentence clunky.
0 Replies