Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 04:17 pm
Typical mags, though I find the upper slightly too weak and the lower too strong so neither one gives a clear picture sitting here at arms' length from my PC display, but my Optometrist assures me that my eyes will adjust within a week or so. So under these conditions should I concentrate my view through the top or the bottom

If you've been in this situation, how long before your eyes adjusted
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,816 • Replies: 19
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 04:58 pm
@dalehileman,
use multi pairs of single prescription eyeglasses. I have reading glasses , mid range glasses and a pair of my regular full field glasses.

I cant handle bifocals my eyes cannot adjust, and I cant use contacts either.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 05:12 pm
@farmerman,
I use bifocals. They are a problem at times, but I have adjusted to them after several years. It does not do for me to carry multiple glasses, because I immediately break them or lose them.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 06:06 pm
@farmerman,
Yea Farm there's some sense to that. For years I've successfully used discards picked up for 25 cents at yard sales, and in fact I although I found the typical bifocal mag abandoned by somebody else perfectly satisfactory around the house and yard, yes I still needed another of slightly different focus for tv watching

Just recently decidING that since I do have eye insurance and it's only $15, why not go The Scientific Route. Result so far somewhat disappointing but have the greatest hope. Of course if the focus doesn't improve they'll presumably rebuild it accordingly at no additional cost

However at $2 a mile driving these days, each trip to the eye doctor cost me an additional $20 or so for a total cost 140 times my garage-sale special, I'm no longer quite so hot on the "scientific way"
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 06:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
adjusted to them after several years

Ed thank you for that report but our oculist claims the adjustment should require only a few days
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 06:23 pm
@dalehileman,
I wore them for several years. I adjusted to being able to wear them immediately, but in a course of several years it has become more natural to wear them than knot.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 09:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
I've worn bifocals for many decades, and can't live without them.

It sounds to me like your prescription is wrong. You shouldn't need to adjust to your glasses; they should be clear from the first time you wear them.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 11:50 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
they should be clear from the first time you wear them.
That's what I thought too Cis. It's been about a week now and I haven't noted any improvement whatever in their focus
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 12:31 pm
I've been so frustrated with the prescription glasses I've gotten in Albuquerque for the last 4 years that I've pretty much stopped wearing them all together. They were all purchased from an Ophthalmologists/Optometrists office. Previously, in California, I had eye exams and purchased glasses from retail stores such as Lens Crafters and never had problems with them. After each purchase, I too was told my eyes would adjust. They never did.

The first pair were bifocals and I had to take the glasses off to read anything within arms length. The second pair were also bifocals and I couldn't read street signs at night or read anything up close. This third pair is single vision for distance and driving and I still can't read street signs with them on. My vision is better without the glasses so I rarely wear them anymore other than as eye protection when I'm doing yard work.

The doctors here say that I have moderate cataracts in both eyes and that may be why no prescription seems to work lately. It isn't bad enough for surgery yet, so I guess I limp through it until it does need surgery.
saab

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 02:27 pm
I have had bifocals for years and a new pair should feel like no glasses at all in the same moment you put them on for the first time.
Only once I could not get used to them and went back and it turned out they were not made correctly. The division was put in the wrong place. Got a new pair.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 02:36 pm
@Butrflynet,
Net thanks for that report. It's becoming increasingly clear that garage-sale might be the only practical approach

Except with the onset of the recession and the old folk keeping their lenses the selection isn't nearly as good as usedta
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 09:50 am
http://www.vdwoxford.org/ourwork/
http://www.vdwoxford.org/images/intro/07.jpg
This is a brilliant idea. I don't know if these glasses are available in the first world, perhaps if you made a donation..
Regardless, this would end the need for several pairs.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 10:06 am
@Butrflynet,
That is what happened when I tried bifocals, probably for different reasons. I tried bifocals long before I had cataracts. I went ahead with getting trifocals.
Now those are a pain in the patoot re finding the right frames, but they worked best for me and still do.

I am extremely nearsighted, which means that the range for the lenses must vary for me to see way across a large room clearly (or outdoors distance); to see middle distance, say a dozen feet to a bookshelf or to read some signs; and finally, the bottom lens to see what I can already see pretty well, a drawing I'm hand drafting or my computer screen, but so, when driving, to see the numbers on my car dashboard without taking my glasses off to do that.

At home, I just take my glasses off when I go in the door as my rooms are fairly small and I can see ok, and I spend a lot of my time on the computer, reading, or cooking, all close work.

I've long been told that people find trifocals difficult (I didn't, I thought they were 'miracles' at work, a large room of something like 50 x 50 feet when I had my drafting desk along with other architects spaced around the room). The bigger problem is that many places don't provide trifocals and when they do, there is a wait to get them. Further, they're quite expensive. I did find a place in Albuquerque that gave me two pairs for the price of one, one being prescription trifocal sunglasses.

------- In Dale's situation, I think it likely that the prescription is off relative to the vision he needs.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 10:13 am
@saab,
Quote:
a new pair should feel like no glasses at all in the same moment you put them on
Exactly my feeling, Saab. I'm rapidly gaining the impression that the problem is one of semantics not optics. When your optician tells you you'll have to "get used to" a new pair he doesn't mean in terms of focus but just to that overall view that makes looking through glasses different from not. I'm finding it hard to believe that one's focus adapts to one's new glasses
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 11:04 am
@dalehileman,
I think that maybe your Optometrist is trying to get away with not correcting his mistaken prescription. Unless you also have cataracts, you should be able to see well with your new glasses, whether bi/trifocals or single vision. I've gotten glasses before with the wrong prescription. Once they were changed to the right prescription, I could see well. I waited a long time to get my last new prescription. In that case, my eyes hurt for several days. The muscles had to adjust. But I could see very well. What a relief it was.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 11:15 am
@Lola,
Thanks Lola, I'll give 'em another week or two but suspect you're absolutely right. Yet I'm developing a strong reluctance to take 'em back since after all it's required to drive there at a couple of bucks a mile

Don't laugh: Thirty years ago arounbd LA it was 50 cents a mile

Maybe instead I'll keep 'em for the occasional instance of resort to very small font
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 11:21 am
@dalehileman,
Give your optometrist a call, and ask/demand that he correct his mistake.
If he doesn't, call the State Attorney General in Sacramento on consumer fraud charges. You shouldn't have to live with "his" mistake.

I've worn glasses most of my life, and never had that kind of problem with all the optometrists and ophthalmologists that I've "worked" with.

I even ordered glasses in Hong Kong many years ago, because our local guide took us to her uncle's place, and gave us a good prices on bifocals with transitions. I've had the prescription changed on them several times at Kaiser since then, and haven't had any problems.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 11:39 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Give your optometrist a call, and ask/demand that……...You shouldn't have to live with "his" mistake.
Oh thank you Cis but I'm reluctant to go so far all-out. After all it might be my own fault

For instance when undergoing the exam, sometimes I can't decide which of two images is clearer, the only diff being one is slightly bigger than the other and so I suppose it's the one I should cite thus favoring the lower lens But in any case I'm quite if things don't improve they will replace 'em at no additional cost

It's just the cost of transportation that may send me back to my 25-cent garage-sale lenses

But thank you again Cis for your concern
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 11:53 am
@dalehileman,
That's the reason why they should "double" check every time you say it's clear. They intentionally change the specs during the exam so they can determine which one appears clear to you. During the exam, each change should be quick so your eyes don't adjust to the small changes.

I've been fortunate with my eyes; at 77 years old, I still have pretty good vision at night, and my prescription doesn't change all that much. I only go for an exam when my vision seems to deteriorate. I can still read road signs.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 01:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
They intentionally change the specs during the exam so they can determine which one appears clear to you.
Yes, thanks Cis, I'm sure they're going by the book. It's just that in sequential fine adjustment of that sort for the lower lens both images appear slightly blurry. So--I'm guessing--when I favor the one providing the slightly bigger image, the result is excess power in that lens

However I do think their methods are somewhat antiquated. As an erstwhile inventor I've dreamed up several alternative methods-- for setting the lower lens anyhow--that might more reliable

Assuming for the moment however that I'm dead wrong, that one's eyes do eventually adjust themselves to the glasses (tho I still can hardly believe it's possible), my opto hasn't informed me which lens I should be using in this process, the top one or the bottom one. As I had indicated, presently at arms' length either one gives a fuzzy image, the bottom being too powerful and the top too weak

OP course it isn't a hopeless case. If I pull up close, using the bottom lens I can achieve good focus. However with my face only 1 ft from the screen my chair is up against my desk and my feet are against the wall. Since the top lens focuses just fine from about 10 ft to infinity, I'm assuming it's ok but the bottom one is just too powerful

I had considered taking in my 25-cent garage-sale glasses and advising, "Here, just copy these," but I'm afraid of embarrassing
0 Replies