Keratoconus and 'Mask Squeeze'

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 06:39 pm
Hello there,
About three weeks ago I undertook my first open water dive (about 26m) and due to a lack of adequate training, I didn't equalise my mask and ended up with a case of mask squeeze (Subconjunctival hemorrhage) in both eyes. The sclera cleared up after about 2 wks and my vision feels like it is back to normal. However, as I do suffer from Keratoconus, I'm concerned that I may have done further damage to my corneas - both of which had been stabilised prior to the dive with crosslinking, plus a corneal ring inserted in one of the eyes.
Pretty unusual question I guess but hoping there may be some of you with Keratoconus / Diving expetise.
many thanks
Benson, London
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,766 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 07:18 pm
@barkleybb,
Nope...but I'm bumping this for you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 07:43 pm
I've no idea, Barkley - have just read about keratoconus now in wikipedia. You probably already have a good ophthalmologist, but if not, that seems the best person to be seen by.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 10:12 am
@barkleybb,
barkleybb wrote:
However, as I do suffer from Keratoconus, I'm concerned that I may have done further damage to my corneas

If you've done damage to your corneas, after they've been stabilized, you'd have a visual consequence to corneal damage. Since you report no problems at present with your vision, lets hope that any damage you may have suffered has passed and your visual acuity will remain excellent.

Alls well that ends well...
0 Replies

barkleybb

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 02:06 pm
That's eased my concerns somewhat, thank you. I'll book an appt with my opth tomorrow just to be sure.

best wishes,
b
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Keratoconus and 'Mask Squeeze'
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 06:31:46