• Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,570 • Replies: 2
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 12:52 pm
@menewguy,
Hi there,

That seems to be the fancy term for "lazy eye." I find the Mayo Clinic's website useful when I'm researching this sort of thing.

Their definition:

Quote:
Lazy eye (amblyopia) is a reduction in visual acuity that results from abnormal visual development during infancy and early childhood. Lazy eye usually affects just one eye, but it may affect both eyes. With lazy eye, there is no apparent damage or abnormality to the eye. Lazy eye is the leading cause of decreased vision among children. Left untreated, the loss of vision may range from mild to severe.

Lazy eye develops when nerve pathways between the brain and the eye aren't properly stimulated. This can lead to a condition in which the brain favors one eye, usually due to poor vision in the other eye. The weaker eye tends to wander. Eventually, the brain may ignore the signals received from the weaker — or lazy — eye.

Conservative treatments such as corrective eye wear or eye patches can often correct lazy eye. Sometimes, lazy eye requires surgical treatment.

More here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lazy-eye/DS00887
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 12:53 pm
@menewguy,
When you search Google for this term, you will see the following :

"Amblyopia, otherwise known as lazy eye, is a disorder of the visual system that is characterized by poor or indistinct vision in an eye that is otherwise physically normal, or out of proportion to associated structural abnormalities. It has been estimated to affect 1–5% of the population."
0 Replies