Double red cell blood donation?

JPB

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 07:25 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
they told me my hemoglobin level

Interesting. They used to just use the copper sulfate sink test followed up by a hematocrit if you failed the hemoglobin.

The blood donor industry has debated the idea of recommending (or even distributing) iron supplements for decades. There was concern about liver toxicity from too much iron so the decision has always been away from that recommendation. There's no question that the standard American diet is pretty awful. I'm not entirely surprised that they've changed the stance on recommending iron supplements.
0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 10:55 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
I did notice that for the first time in 30 years of donating that they told me my hemoglobin level along with the usual blood pressure and temperature info.
Evidenced based practice.
That's where its at. Wink
At least that's the nursing philosophy.
We love information, the more the better. Very Happy

Also...
Thank you for donating.
You save lives.
0 Replies

amygarside

Reply Wed 13 Mar, 2013 06:20 am
@Butrflynet,
Thanks for sharing this. I learned something new today.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 12:36 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Around here, United Blood Service does do it at a mobile unit. Not me! Their couches in that bus are high enough you could get hurt if you fell on the way out.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 12:53 pm
This person is both a spammer and a very annoying copycat ("he" copied boomerang).
Lola

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 12:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Re: william22 (Post 5278493)
This person is both a spammer and a very annoying copycat ("he" copied boomerang).
Thanks for pointing that out. Why do people do that?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 01:01 pm
@Lola,
I don't know the mechanics of it. Apparently they get credit somewhere for making online posts; we've had these around for several months now (so many Carol Greens, so little time), so if something sounds familiar, you may be right - it was often but not always in the same thread.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 02:40 pm
@ossobuco,
He copied me? Where?
roger

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 02:51 pm
@boomerang,
This is the oddest thing. When I quoted myself above, it was intended as a reply to the person osso refers to. I probably should have quoted both myself and him, as his post is currently missing.

It would be nice if a deleted post were identified as "Post Deleted" by member or moderator as the case may be. It might keep some of the rest of us from looking dumb. I've seen this before, by the way.
boomerang

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 02:54 pm
@roger,
That is odd!

I was certainly confused! (But that isn't odd. Quite common, really.)
0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 02:54 pm
@roger,
Who did what with the where now? Laughing
We were (almost) ALL confused. Very Happy
roger

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 03:09 pm
@MattDavis,
Someone unknown to most of us repeated the question on whether the double red donation could be done in a mobile unit. You answered it, and I pointed that locally, it could be done by an outfit called United Blood Service. Osso says it was an uncredited exact copy of Boomerang's question. That post is missing.

Maybe the mods are tired of that type of post too, but pulling it without notice makes us look kind of silly. I mean, do I often quote myself without explanation?
MattDavis

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 05:05 pm
@roger,
Thanks for the explicit explanation. Very Happy

Roger wrote:
I mean, do I often quote myself without explanation?

It is not rhetorically cool to do so. Wink
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 05:11 pm
@boomerang,
from here: http://able2know.org/topic/210222-1#post-5276176

I gather it doesn't show now.

He spammed once, and I thought he copied another item (not positive, I'm impatient on looking those up; they're often copies from ehow or lifespring or some damned thing), and then that one, the copy of an a2k comment. That was all within a few minutes. All three are types of spamming or almost spamming.

It's weird, weird, weird when your own words are copied for whatever screwy reason.
We have had a large spate of phony name sounding posters do this stuff, which is why some of us who hang out here too much recognize it.

Adds -
I didn't report any of them, but the mods picked it up on their own. I think I was still sleepy, and the definite spam one had already had 5 or 6 views, so either a mod saw it as it showed up or someone else reported it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 06:07 pm
@MattDavis,
I guess I could do it if I were citing myself as an expert. I've seen that done.
0 Replies