How to anchor chicken wire over soil?

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 04:18 pm
I'm trying to keep my puppy from digging up certain beds in the yard. Chicken wire works, but I don't know how to anchor it down. I found a few old croquet wickets and those work great. It would be ideal if I could find something maybe 1/3 the size of a wicket to do the same job. Is there such a thing? If so, what is it called and where might I find it?

cherrie

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 04:22 pm
@agoldenb,
I don't know how big a croquet wicket is, but tent pegs might work.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 04:47 pm
@cherrie,
It depends on your soil. You could use anything from bamboo to rebar.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 04:58 pm
@agoldenb,
Ago, there are a number of different lengths and widths for holding down tubing, typ about 7" long, 1" wide U. Anywhere they sell garden supplies
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 06:59 pm
@agoldenb,
You can get something like these tent stakes at most camping, hardware, sports stores. This one on Amazon.com is 10 for $3. Garden centers will also have something similar but it will probably cost more.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61rVbc6AKuL._SL1200_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/10-Piece-Galvanized-Steel-Tent-Pegs/dp/B003TMPCT0/ref=sr_1_4?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1362963403&sr=1-4

Be sure to fold over the sharp edges of the wire to prevent your puppy from cutting his feet in his frustrated attempt to dig.

Another thing you might try is to fill a spray bottle with a little watered-down hot sauce and spray it over the soil where you don't want puppy to dig.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 07:02 pm
@agoldenb,
Supervision of your puppy while it is in the yard is important.

You can train the puppy not to dig up any of the beds. Training and supervision are better options than trying to cover the garden beds.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 04:01 am
@ehBeth,
There's also various sprays, powders granules etc that deter cats and dogs from digging. Whenever I put seedlings in I always use it. Cats are the biggest problem for that, mine own and the neighbours.
0 Replies