Please interpret this statment! I having some trouble!

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 09:56 pm
Hey guys,

My english isn't so perfect, so I wanted to ask you guys some questions about how would you guys interpret the following statement.

I was watching a baseball tournament, and the reporter asked Team B's captain how he thinks about their next opponent, Team A. Then he said, 'Team A is one of the best teams in Europe, if not the best.' And, he went on and said few things about how great the pitcher is for the Team A.

So, if this is the case, then what was meant by captain B's statement.
Is it
A) Team A is one of the best teams in Europe, perhaps there may be a possibility of them being the absolute best in Europe. (Respecting the fact that the Team A is indeed the best)
Or,
B) Team A is certainly one of the best teams in Europe, though they may not be absolute best team in Europe. (Acknowledging the fact that Team A is a good team but saying it with some sarcasm or negative nuance.)

I guess in essence, which one would you choose and why? A) vs. B). Please let me know guys thanks in advance!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 558 • Replies: 3
No top replies

engineer

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 09:58 pm
@benjjang751,
It is A. It means they are definitely one of the best, perhaps the best.
benjjang751

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 10:03 pm
@engineer,
Could that same statment using 'if not' ever be used or meant to taunt the opponent team? Like saying, your team may be considered as one of the best, though u guys aren't really the absoulte best
engineer

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 10:05 pm
@benjjang751,
No. Common usage is just how you described in option A. Another way to say the same thing:

If they are not the best team, they are one of the best.
0 Replies