POTTY MOUTH

au1929

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 09:21 am
http://www.nydailynews.com/images/heads/rope0320.jpg
Potty mouth!
Airline smacked, kisses off urinals planned for JFK

By MICHAEL SAUL
DAILY NEWS CITY HALL BUREAU

Plan to install arty urinal above, designed to look like a woman's mouth, at Virgin Atlantic's JFK terminal has generated a lotta lip.

Councilmen John Liu (below l.) and Philip Reed joined women's group NOW to pan the provocative pissoir as disgusting and sexist.

Gee whiz.Virgin Atlantic's provocative urinals - shaped like a woman's open mouth - just got the royal flush.The airline announced yesterday it would not install the urinals in the men's room of its new clubhouse in Kennedy Airport's Terminal 4 because of public criticism."We apologize to people we offended. No offense was intended," said John Riordan, the airline's vice president of customer services. "Any piece of art, by its nature, has its critics and its fans."At a news conference at City Hall yesterday, Councilman Philip Reed (D-Manhattan) called the urinals inappropriate, disgusting and sexist.In short, he didn't like them. And he wasn't alone."There's something wrong with someone who thinks that urinating symbolically into the mouth of a woman is quirky and fun," said Rita Haley, president of the city's chapter of the National Organization for Women."It displays a horrendous lack of social consciousness," Haley added. "The [urinals] are disgusting, degrading and humiliating to women and they encourage the abuse of women."Councilman John Liu (D-Queens) suggested designing urinals in the shape of the face of Virgin Atlantic founder, Sir Richard Branson. "They should not have any problems with their own face being on these urinals," Liu said.The airline hasn't chosen a replacement, but Riordan said it will be a novelty design.Meike van Schijndel, a 30-year-old woman from the Netherlands who designed the "Kisses" urinal, told the Daily News that her designs are supposed to create a "fantasy world" in the bathroom."The thought that this urinal only represents a man peeing in a woman's mouth never even occurred to me while making it," she wrote in an E-mail."Lighten up," she added. "[It's] just a cartoonish looking mouth. There are worse things in the world to get all worked up about."

Originally published on March 20, 2004
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 745 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 09:33 am
maybe if they made it less lipsticked looking?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 02:41 am
As I've said, this is either a great post-modern joke, or completely sick.

Many of those who could afford to use Clubhouse earnt their money by metaphorically pissing in people's mouths, putting profit over service.

Either that, or there are some twisted perverts getting into the elusive toilet business now!

0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 02:44 am
Bi-Polar Bear beat ya too it with this thread au1929.

Man, I Got To Pee......
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 02:47 am
I think Bear wrote about when they actually Were putting the toilips in, and Au's post is about the reaction to such a plan, and how they're not any more.

0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 02:50 am
Ah...I see.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 10:05 am
It's sick to make these things or to use them.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 10:21 am
Interesting. I don't have that strong a negative reaction to it.
It reminds me very much of this weird kidney shaped object an old friend of mine made. Very organic, sort of friendly-looking.
0 Replies