Old Dogs Get Their Own Senior Center

quinn1

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 09:45 pm
Quote:

SAN CLEMENTE, Calif. (March 18) - There's now a playground for old dogs with a little less wiggle in their wag. Mature pooches uninterested in learning new tricks now have their own hangout, a gerontologic dog park, to socialize.

The San Clemente Dog Park opened Wednesday, across the street from a frenetic canine playground for the young and restless.

The senior side opened six months after the main bark park. The city spent $275,000 on the entire complex and the San Clemente Dog Lovers organization plans to sell advertising banners that will hang on the perimeter chain-link fence to finance the park's maintenance.

For some 3,000 licensed dogs in the city, the park is the only chunk of city property that doesn't require a leash. But the older dogs don't seem too interested in any untethered running and roughhousing.

Fifteen-year-old Taz - that's 105 in dog years - is a mixed breed whose hip was broken in 10 places in a car accident about five years ago. She's been to the main dog park, but she stayed to the side, away from the other dogs.

''She can't see very well and she can't hear very well,'' Taz master Bill Thomas said. She probably won't be any more active in the senior park, but at least she won't have to worry about being knocked over by a rambunctious Rottweiler, Thomas said.

''Dogs are like kids. They like to roughhouse, but ask an 80-year-old if he likes to roughhouse. He may want to, but it's not the same anymore,'' said Gregg Lipanovich, who launched the San Clemente Dog Lovers campaign for senior canines.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,692 • Replies: 20
No top replies

littlek

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 10:12 pm
I love it!

When will the Boston area get hip to dog parks? There's certainly no lack of dog owners here.
0 Replies

Brini Maxwell

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 10:20 pm
How nice!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 10:22 pm
Hi Brini - welcome to A2K. Haven't seen you around before right now.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 10:58 am
k, theres no room for houses where would we put dogs?

Wait, there is tht whole Big Dig thing isnt there? Wink
0 Replies

Brini Maxwell

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 11:29 am
littlek wrote:

Thanks for the welcome. I "just hatched" as it says. Clever. What's my next step after getting hatched and when do I graduate?
0 Replies

Brini Maxwell

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 11:31 am
Brini Maxwell wrote:
littlek wrote:

Thanks for the welcome. I "just hatched" as it says. Clever. What's my next step after getting hatched and when do I graduate?

Oh wait! I'm now newbie!
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 11:35 am
Re: Old Dogs Get Their Own Senior Center
Quote:
''Dogs are like kids. They like to roughhouse, but ask an 80-year-old if he likes to roughhouse. He may want to, but it's not the same anymore,'' said Gregg Lipanovich, who launched the San Clemente Dog Lovers campaign for senior canines.

As a doglover myself, I consider Gregg Lipanovich a true hero Cool
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 11:46 am
Welcome to both of you! You shall emerge in your 'status' as you continue on posting here, it wont be long till you're feeling less new. Enjoy.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 11:49 am
quinn1 wrote:
k, theres no room for houses where would we put dogs?

Wait, there is tht whole Big Dig thing isnt there? Wink

we have a butt-load of green space that could have little slivers fenced in for dogs.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 11:51 am
I dont know k, thats probably already sanctioned as like people or kid space--there might be people with allergies or a dislike for dogs, it might not work.
Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 11:51 am
Brini Maxwell wrote:
Oh wait! I'm now newbie!

Congrats!

(I swear I already posted this response......)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 11:52 am
There's tons of space! I'm talking about using maybe a 10th of it, broken up into segments through the emarald necklace. Hey, if they can do it in san fran, they should be able to do it here.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 11:55 am
Didnt they do that for the community gardens?

It could be done, I suppose...dont know if it will be, but, probably could be anyway.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 11:57 am
I think it definitely could be done. And it would be a big perk for those up us who live up here. There's the park they put untop of the old dump behind fresh pond parkway (Danehy Park) in Cambridge - they have a dog run that's not fenced in, they could easily fence it and I'd be a happy girl.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 12:01 pm
They didnt turn it into a golf course????

Well, at least it has a dog run...could become more, in the works still maybe?
0 Replies

Camille

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 01:03 pm
Re: Old Dogs Get Their Own Senior Center
quinn1 wrote:
Quote:

I just lost two in the past year to old age and Gregg is right. They want to play, sometimes, but they don't have the energy or the bones to keep up with the younger ones.

This is cool.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 02:27 pm
Quinn - it's been as is for a good 5-10 years. But, I guess since it's a Public Works thing - maybe it IS still in progress.

Sorry Camille - that's sad to hear.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 09:32 pm
quinn1 wrote:
Welcome to both of you! You shall emerge in your 'status' as you continue on posting here, it wont be long till you're feeling less new. Enjoy.

Thanks for the warm welcome quinn. Smile

Everyone has been so great here on A2K, I don't feel like the 'new kid on the block' anymore. Cool
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 09:45 pm
Quinn, I was hoping to run across you. We seldom see each other, our conversations are brief and pleasant, but somewhat strained. I feel we are drifting apart. I feel a little guilty admitting that I have been following you and watching some of your activities. I was in the crowd when you triumphantly held your prize for winning the karoke contest. My cheers were as loud as anyone there.

http://bubonicon.home.att.net/html/history/b33photos/photos/260801_010.jpg

I just wanted to congratulate you and, dammit, I hope we can become friends again.
0 Replies