A thread for RL's theories about sociopaths.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 03:58 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
Have you ever seen a Jehovah's witness at a party who won't have a drink, but refuses to go home? If not don't you think you are just making fun of their religion?

That's right, I purposely posted that just to take the piss out of Jehovah's Witnesses. I wasn't using it as an analogy in any way.

Btw just what is it about slavery that shoots a wasp up your arse? You went on and on about slavery and sociopaths regarding the Aztecs, but didn't say anything about human sacrifice.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 04:43 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
So you don't accept he had any remorse at all then?

At the time that he was involved in slave trade? No I do not think so.

Afterwards? I can not speak empirically about that but I guess it is possible because I know of no evidence supporting different. I think that psychopathy may be gray and that is what I have been saying for sometime.
I think that you and I may be just as guilty as him in the eyes of them who come after us and that is what I am trying to put forward.

Quote:
You believe it was all an act

I do not know with certainty because I do understand that some sociopaths can be more emotional intelligent than many may think and know what others want to hear.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 04:45 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You went on and on about slavery and sociopaths regarding the Aztecs, but didn't say anything about human sacrifice.

Would you be kind and share with all of us what you know about Aztecs and human sacrifice.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 05:57 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Would you be kind and share with all of us what you know about Aztecs and human sacrifice.

Its OK Izzy You do not need too unless you want to because I researched it myself and seen the atrocities that took place but I will be honest because it seems that our own religion or origin of the Hebrews engaged in similar practices.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 04:09 am
@reasoning logic,
Not in the 16th Century. When Agamemnon sacrifices his daughter Iphigenia, it is very shocking, not just because it's his daughter, but because when the Iliad was written, human sacrifice was no longer acceptable .

Btw I'm in the UK on GMT. I'm in bed when you're at your most prolific.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_sacrifice_in_Aztec_culture
Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 04:21 am
Waste
of
time
izzythepush

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 04:40 am
@Setanta,
Maybe this will cheer you up. You like heartwarming stories about dogs.

Quote:
Firefighters in Poland say a small dog probably saved the life of a three-year-old who went missing from her home overnight in freezing temperatures.

The child, Julia, vanished on Friday and was found lying in marshes several kilometres from her house on Saturday morning, with the dog by her side.

She is now in hospital in western Poland, suffering from frostbite after temperatures fell to -5C (23F).

Firefighter Grzegorz Szymanski said the dog kept the child warm enough to live.

"For the whole night the animal was with the girl, it never left her. Remember, it was 5 degrees below zero and the child was wet," he said, adding that the animal was the most important factor in the girl's survival.

Julia was found lying in marshland
More than 200 people had searched for the child overnight. It is thought she spent hours wandering through the forest near her home in the village of Pierzwin.

Her parents had last seen the three-year-old playing in the backyard with the small black mongrel.

She was eventually discovered by firefighters after she was heard crying for her mother.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21643100
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 04:43 am
That's certainly more interesting than this thread.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 04:45 am
@Setanta,
Would you rather RL posts his theories here, or on other threads that have nothing to do with his hobbyhorses?
roger

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 04:47 am
@izzythepush,
It was my understanding that that was the entire purpose of the thread.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 06:16 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Not in the 16th Century.

The enlightenment is a slow process especially when it comes to to thoughs who show no empathy "just look at setanta for an example. Rolling Eyes

I can only guess that many of our distant ancestors engaged in similar acts.
Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 06:35 am
@reasoning logic,
Bite me asswipe, i have no empathy for your self-absorbed self-pity, that's for sure.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 06:37 am
@reasoning logic,
Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming any type of cultural supremacy. I was merely curious as to why you would criticise the Aztecs for having slaves, but not for engaging in human sacrifice.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 06:59 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I was merely curious as to why you would criticise the Aztecs for having slaves, but not for engaging in human sacrifice.

I am not here to criticize any culture but rather trying to learn what other people think about the past and present day human behavior.
Ice Demon

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 07:28 am
@reasoning logic,
Say I give you the benefit of doubt that he was a sociopath. Then is it so hard for you to believe that sociopaths or those with strong sociopathic tendencies can also be introspective and insightful? Is it because of a naive belief that people who are introspective could never display sociopathic characteristics to begin with? That’s about the only reason I can think of to explain this common illusion. And if my guess is correct, then why doesn’t it occur to these people that introspective sociopaths might in fact be in the perfect position to gain accurate insights into the human condition precisely because of their cold, calculating natures?
All this is contrast with your crap about how sociopaths communicate corresponding to what "others" want to hear.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 08:08 am
@Ice Demon,
Quote:
is it so hard for you to believe that sociopaths or those with strong sociopathic tendencies can also be introspective and insightful?

Just because a person is a sociopath does not mean that they can not have insight.

Quote:
Is it because of a naive belief that people who are introspective could never display sociopathic characteristics to begin with?

If a person believes that, "I do think they are being naive.

Quote:
That’s about the only reason I can think of to explain this common illusion.

I am not aware of people who share this illusion but I will take your word for it.

Quote:
And if my guess is correct, then why doesn’t it occur to these people that introspective sociopaths might in fact be in the perfect position to gain accurate insights into the human condition precisely because of their cold, calculating natures?

I cant speak for those who have the illusions but I would think the reason sociopaths might not in fact be in the perfect position to gain accurate insights into the human condition precisely because of their cold, calculating natures would be for the same reason that empathic people would not have the ability to precisely gain accurate insights into the human condition.

I think that they can both only approximate the human condition imprecisely.

Quote:
All this is contrast with your crap about how sociopaths communicate corresponding to what "others" want to hear.

They do sometimes and sometimes they don't, so what are you getting at?
Ice Demon

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 09:17 am
@reasoning logic,
What I'm getting at is that you can't ever truly understand a sociopath, but act as if you do. You just drink the kool aid that society feeds you and that is to labels sociopaths as monsters or freaks because they are different from the majority, the empaths. And yes, a few tend to be harm others in society, but most of them don't and just exist and live normal lives.
Surprise me and tell me something new.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 09:58 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:
I was merely curious as to why you would criticise the Aztecs for having slaves, but not for engaging in human sacrifice.

I am not here to criticize any culture but rather trying to learn what other people think about the past and present day human behavior.

That's not true, you started going on about sociopaths because of how the pyramids were built using slaves.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 10:11 am
@Ice Demon,
I don't think you've fully grasped how RL views, or more importantly defines, socio/psychopaths. You seem to be accepting the more orthodox definition, but refuting that all people labelled as such are a danger.

RL has a far broader definition, blaming it for all of society's ills. I doubt very much that anyone outside of RL's mindset would label John Newton a psycho/sociopath. He has called a lot of the posters on A2K, myself included, psychopaths, or accused them of displaying psychopathic behaviour. I think his choice of John Newton is so he can have a pop at religion. He would appear to think that John Newton's Chritianity allowed him to enslave others, and that same Christianity then showed him the gates of Hell. He campaigned against slavery in later because he feared damnation, not because he felt sorry for those he enslaved, therefore he wasn't really displaying any remorse.

Feel free to jump in RL if you think I've got it wrong.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 10:20 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
That's not true, you started going on about sociopaths because of how the pyramids were built using slaves.

I started talking about psychopathy well before I talked about slaves being used to build pyramids.
0 Replies