Type I and II errors

rntlm

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 07:26 pm
A study is conducted to determine if the patients who have one glass of wine each day have a reduced risk of heart attacks.

Which statement describes a type I error and which statement describes a type II error?

A) The study correctly concludes that the patients who have one glass of wine each day have a reduced risk of heart attacks.
B) The study incorrectly concludes that the patients who have one glass of wine each day have a reduced risk of heart attacks.
C) The study correctly concludes that the patients who have one glass of wine each day do not have a reduced risk of heart attacks.
D) The study incorrectly concludes that the patients who have one glass of wine each day do not have a reduced risk of heart attacks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 729 • Replies: 4
No top replies

markr

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 12:04 am
@rntlm,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_I_and_type_II_errors
rntlm

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 08:28 am
@markr,
I have already been on multiple internet sites to figure this out, including the one you provided the link to. I still don't understand this question.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 08:08 pm
@rntlm,
Null hypothesis: A glass of wine each day does not reduce the risk of heart attacks.

Type I error (incorrect rejection of a true null hypothesis): B because there is no reduction of risk (true null hypothesis), but the study incorrectly concluded that there is a reduction (incorrect rejection).

Type 2 error (failure to reject a false null hypothesis): D because there is a reduction of risk (false null hypothesis), but the study incorrectly concluded that that there no reduction (incorrect failure to reject).
rntlm

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 08:22 pm
@markr,
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I had figured out the Type I, but couldn't get a grasp of the Type II. It was a sample test question I already had the answers to, I just didn't understand it.
0 Replies