Gun accidents = 1% of home fatalities

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 08:11 am
http://news.consumerreports.org/safety/2013/02/gun-accidents-down-but-other-home-accidents-on-the-rise.html

Quote:

Contrary to what you might expect from all the news about gun violence, accidental deaths from guns in the home are relatively uncommon, and have actually gone down slightly in recent years, according to a new study. But other deadly accidents at home, including poisonings, falls, and burns, are far more common, and on the rise. The good news: some simple measures can help prevent most of them.

The study, published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine, looked at data from 2000 to 2008. More than 30,000 people die from accidents in the home each year, the study found. The three leading causes of accidental deaths were poisonings (43 percent), falls (34 percent), and fire or burn injuries (9 percent). Firearm mishaps accounted for just 1 percent of all accidental deaths in the home.

Poisoning, mostly from unintentional drug overdoses, and falls were the most common causes among adults. Suffocation and drowning were the deadliest accidents for children.....

DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 11:36 am
@gungasnake,
I'm not sure why it should have to be pointed out, but it seems rather silly to discuss the percentage of fatalities due to a particular cause rather than the absolute number.

The whole point of a percentage is to express a relative number, which isn't very relevant in this case.

It's not like a person is limited to reducing only one type of accident.

I would think that a safety-minded person were evaluating whether to own a firearm, the question would not be "what percentage of accidents are due to firearms" but rather "does owning a firearm make me more safe or less safe?"

The answer to that question, of course, is that owning a firearm makes one less safe.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 11:44 am

Of course, the reality of owning a firearm makes one safer.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 01:27 pm
@H2O MAN,
This constant refusal to face reality is one of the reasons your political party is losing ground.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 01:39 pm
@DrewDad,
My political party?

Obama is projecting a fantasy and you accept it as reality... that's pathetic.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 02:08 pm
@DrewDad,
Trying to reason with H2O is about as likely to succeed as trying to teach a weasel quantum mechanics.
parados

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 02:34 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Just as long as your not trying to teach a cat in a box because then we will never know if the cat learned quantum mechanics or not.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 02:37 pm
@gungasnake,
And on an unrelated note...

100% of gun accidents involve a gun.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 02:50 pm
Look…there are only 2,000 deaths, 70,000 disabling injuries, and 200,000 hospital trips due to firearms in the home each year.

So no big deal, right.

And almost all of the people killed, disabled and taken so hospital are gun owners…so why worry.

(he said, hoping the sarcasm would leak through)
DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 03:39 pm
@Frank Apisa,
If only they'd had a gun to defend themselves from their guns.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 03:40 pm
@DrewDad,

guns don't shoot guns... people shoot guns.
0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 01:26 am
@Frank Apisa,
I was watching Psych last night.
Shawn wrote:
I’m pretty sure like 90 percent of gunshot wounds are psychological. Here’s the good news, the body is actually designed for this sort of thing!
Rolling Eyes
http://www.avclub.com/articles/santabarbaratown-2,92955/
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 07:17 am
@MattDavis,
MattDavis wrote:

I was watching Psych last night.
Shawn wrote:
I’m pretty sure like 90 percent of gunshot wounds are psychological. Here’s the good news, the body is actually designed for this sort of thing!
Rolling Eyes
http://www.avclub.com/articles/santabarbaratown-2,92955/

That sounds a bit like what Obama said a few years ago...

Obama Tells Woodward: “We Can Absorb Another Terrorist Attack”
MattDavis

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 09:47 am
@H2O MAN,
Anybody else remember when one of our Vice Presidents shot somebody in the face? Who was that?
Ah well guess he must just be one of those "bad people" who shouldn't get the guns.

Remember guns don't shoot people, fat old white dudes shoot people when they are too frightened and confused by how the world actually works. Rolling Eyes
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 03:48 pm
@MattDavis,

Accidents happen, who was it that voted for Obama? Young blacks and the dumbmasses.
Obama supporters are too stupid to own or handle a gun
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Gun accidents = 1% of home fatalities
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 01:19:07