VCD help needed.

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 10:48 pm
I ordered this VCD off e-bay last week. The guy who sold it to me told me it was in the American format, which, I thought, meant that it should play in my DVD player. But it doesn't. I'm not even sure what VCD really means. Does anyone know? What could be wrong?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,239 • Replies: 2
No top replies

husker

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 12:13 am
VCD usually means "video CD"
Not all DVD's are created equal - did you try it in your pc?

Quote:
In simple terms, a Video Compact Disc (VCD) is a cheap alternative to creating DVDs - a recognised format for digital video, many standalone DVD players and all computers with relevant software can play such discs. Given the comparatively small capacity of standard CD media (740MB), the quality clearly can't match that set by DVD films. However, given the right encoding tools and source footage, you can expect to surpass VHS quality with the added advantage of no loss in quality from excessive playback.

Given that the majority of players support the VCD format, creating a Video CD is currently the most viable option for distributing an amateur film.

The format uses the mpeg1 codec for encoding. Unfortunately, it's not simply a matter of encoding to mpeg and then burning this to disc. The VCD standard is exactly that: a standard. Your mpeg video must meet certain specifications in order to be recognised by DVD players.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 12:52 am
Yeah, I got it to work on quicktime, at least. I was just hoping I could play it on my DVD player. Dammit. Thanks for the info.
0 Replies