Jazzin' It Up

pueo

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 08:49 pm
two days ago i found a working turntable. i set it up last night and played a few albums that i still have <albums will make a comeback dammit!>

looking through my collection, i found that i have kept many jazz albums. first one on the playlist was herbie hancock's empyrean isles, followed by miles davis kind of blue, dexter gordon's go, and finally wynton marsalis hot house flowers.

any other jazz fans out there?

and yes, dammit, albums will make a comeback!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,500 • Replies: 34
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 08:52 pm
pueo- They had better. My husband recently ordered an expensive new turntable! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 10:44 pm
I'm not a major jazz nut, but I must say, Dexter Gordon's "Ballads" is a recurring CD in my house. I love it! Has anyone every heard of a guy named Jean Michel Pilc? I saw him at a late night jam session about a month ago, and it was incredible. I have a theory that a lot of jazz can only be truly appreciated live.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 11:07 pm
Pueo

I'm not a jazz fan, nor do I have a turntable any longer, but I can hear your delight at being able to hear this loved music again & it put a big smile on my face. Enjoy! Very Happy
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 11:26 pm
Pueo, I'll be right over!!

How I remember Dave Brubeck, Cal Tjader, Bill Evans, Coltrane, Charlie Mingus (have you heard Black Saint and the Sinner Lady?), Stan Getz, Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker, Miles (I especially love In a Silent Way), Dexter Gordon and sooo many more. Of course, the great women--Sarah Vaughn, Ella, Anita O'day, well, my old mind is going blank. So many indredible musicians smoothly melted into vinyl.

I have lots of CD's now, but there was nothing like the deep, velvety smooth sound of LP's.

Stephan Grapelli--I must stop--time to go listen!
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 12:05 am
aloha everyone,

i'm not sure what i'll be playing tonight. miles davis "sketches of spain", was up next on the playlist followed by dizzy gillespie "diz n' bird at carnegie hall" maybe i'll start with those and see what happens.

hi diane, coltrane sounds good. i have "thelonious monk and coltrane", that's going on the playlist.

kicky, gordon's "ballads" is a good one. never heard of jean michel pilc though.

phoenix, good for your husband. albums will be back!

g'day msolga, i will enjoy!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 12:24 am
Oh my gosh, Sketches of Spain. It's time for bed and I plan on sweet dreams. Thanks, Pueo.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 10:03 am
Any jazz fans--any jazz fans. ABSOLUTELY!

All the ones Diane mentioned with the exception of Cal Djader, plus Clifford Brown--Thelonious Monk--Art Blakey--Nancy Wilson (posted a great song by her in the music category)

Don't have a turn table, but do have tapes. Met Dave Brubeck at an LSO performance. Also Clark Terry (met him, too).

Didn't Herbie Hancock do Bags Groove?

There was a A2Ker whose handle was Thelonious Monk. He's the only one so far that knew Clifford Brown.

Enjoy, enjoy, pueo.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 10:09 am
Jazz, yes!
Live jazz, YES!

Jazz on albums, c.d.'s, tapes, ok.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 10:16 am
Jazz, hmm.

But more the trad kind: Dixieland, New Orleans, Chicago, San Francisco and "New" New Orleans and Dixie (American, British and German).

(Have ordered a good dozen cd's from the USA the last few weeks - very cheap re. exchange rates Laughing )
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 11:29 am
Daddy has a Harbor Seal
A piano is all that it has
Which it never plays the same way twice
Dad says it must be jazz.

Turntables... yeah, I've got one. It's not hooked up. LP's... yeah. Down from five linear feet to two... don't remember what I don't have anymore.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 03:19 pm
JAZZ , YEA ! anytime ! how about "sweet emma barrett and her preservation hall jazz band" ? or "willie humphrey" with "sing" miller, "t" butler, "cie" frazier, james prevost and frank demond, playing "little liza jane" , "merry christmas pretty baby" etc ? went to toronto two weeks ago and mrs. h and i went to massey-hall to hear the current new orleans preservation hall jazz band; of course the musicians were all youngsters, the trombone player at age 71 (!) was the oldest ! still, we were clapping and swaying like in the good old days. what a treat it was . next week the students at the queen's university school of music start their graduation graduation exercises and concerts . there'll be some good tunes from those young musicians. monday it starts with a percussion emsemble; tuesday , jazz ensemble with dave barton as the featured jazz guitarist; later in the week it gets a little more serious with wind ensemble, queen's symphony orchestra and queen's symphonic band with clarinette choir - it's always a great deal of fun. during the summer months we'll have friday night jazz on the shores of lake ontario, and in august a week-long blues-fest. can't wait for the jam sessions to start ! hbg
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 05:15 pm
Jazz records that I have contain ones that are not released on CD. I need my turntable.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 05:44 pm
just got myself a new SONY turntable. it was worth the $200 to get a new one. the old DUAL was almost 30 years old and ready to retire. i kept the old LUXMAN monitor and speakers(they are pretty large but i think they have quite an excellent sound, even after 30 years). my jazz records are old 33's and i treat them like a treasure; the sound is quite superb i think. hbg
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 04:42 pm
[quote="Letty
Didn't Herbie Hancock do Bags Groove?

enjoy, enjoy, pueo.[/quote]

hello letty, i think bags groove was done by milt jackson, if i remember right, jackson was known as "bags".
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 04:54 pm
I like Archie Shepp's ballads on vinyl.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 05:11 pm
Satt, don't know Shepp, but need to tell pueo that I had my herbies mixed. It was Herbie Mann, I think, who did Bags Groove. Can still hear that flute in my head.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 05:17 pm
The hamburgers are lucky to live in a community with such an active music community. It's been like that for years. Just marvellous. It's sometimes hard to remember that it's really a small city.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 05:19 pm
Two tracks of Bags' Groove are heard on the Miles Davis' record "Bags' Groove" (Prestige, 1954).

Miles Davis trumpet
Milt Jackson vibes
Thelonious Monk piano
Percy Heath bass
Kenny Clarke drums
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 05:26 pm
told ya, ehBeth..My kind of guy, hamburger is....together we can teach Gautam how to swim. Razz

The only thing Bo and I have in common, music wise, is Diana Krall.

Wow Satt...and Ted Heath..Not to forget George Shering and his lock hand piano.

Thanks for creating this thread, Guam.
0 Replies