hingehead

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 12:46 am
@ehBeth,
Yeah, to me, not expecting everyone else to feel the same. Something about conceiving a novel by saying 'OK here's a story, how can tweak it to promote *.*?' As opposed to 'I have a story and some of its elements put *.* in a favourable light' In the former the promotion is the point, in the latter it's the story. I realise it's a fine line but it's something to do with authenticity. Wish I could put my finger on it.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 12:54 am
@ehBeth,
This bit about religious art on facebook got me thinking - is there bible fan fiction? Damn right there is:
http://www.fanfiction.net/book/Bible/

This doesn't creep me out at all.

Art for art's sake, money for god's sake <queue's old 10cc single...>
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 03:52 am
Poor Hinge . . . the big meanie was so unkind to him.
Enzo

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 04:24 am
@hingehead,
Atheist fiction seems pretty weird to me too.
Just replace "finding faith" story to a “loss of faith” story and there you have it. Ideally, you would think that an atheist fiction would just be … fiction. I suspect that there are a lot of atheist authors writing fiction, but maybe it’s just not as noticeable because they’re not writing "agenda fiction."
“Christian fiction” books are just like these romance novel books which warrants its own section because it involves glurgy books filled with predictable plots.
I never got involved with it, because I got bored easily, especially if the plots are way too predictable...
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 05:30 am
@Setanta,
So you're how old going on six? Very Happy
Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 05:44 am
@hingehead,
You call me wanker for no good reason other than that you can't control your temper, and you ask me how old i am? You're pathetic.
saab

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 06:07 am
@Lola,
I think it was more complex than just Tolstoy went obesessive Christian. Afterall he denied the Christian doctrine of faith.
He wanted to live according to the Sermon on the MOunt and one could call him a Christian anachist .
He has inspired people as Gandhi and Martin Luther King with his ideas of nonviolent resistance.
So his major b rain event as you call it -did some good---
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 06:17 am
I once sat in a waiting room - Can't remember what my business was - I anticipated a good wait, because I brought with me a novel. I no longer recall the title, but the cover was evocative of Tibet. It was me, the receptionist behind a window and my book, in a cozy room. And a bank of empty chairs. Then, a man of perhaps thirty entered. He signed in and took his seat. Within a minute he detected the subversive material in my hand and spoke over me to the receptionist. "I never read anything that contains EASTERN THOUGHT," he said. "I don't want that sort of thing to get a foothold here." I paraphrase, of course, because I can no longer duplicate his exact speech. The girl behind the window acknowledged that he had addressed her, but kept her mind on the job she had to do. I smiled, slightly, but kept my face in the book.

I think Christian literature can be an object of choice for many reasons, some of them good. It depends on the person and whether they have an agenda or not.
JTT

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 10:29 am
@edgarblythe,
What he said:

"I never read anything that contains EASTERN THOUGHT," he said. "I don't want that sort of thing to get a foothold here."

What he meant:

"I never read anything that contains THOUGHT," he said. "I don't want that sort of thing to get a foothold here."
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 02:28 pm
@JTT,
It feels so strange giving you a 'thumbs up' for a change instead of collapsing the post. Laughing
hingehead

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 02:41 pm
@Setanta,
And you call me a blatant bigot for asking a question? You imagine conspiracies that aren't there and accuse me of making a long list of irrational tirades against Christianity, but I'm still waiting for a short list of examples.

Your problem is you go in boots n all if you sense something you don't approve of, then if you find yourself in the lake of overreach you flail even harder. You are incapable of acknowledging that you had an overreaction.

In short you are a well read bully. I know you can use your powers for good, I've seen it, but you can be an asshole. I guess that makes you an average human being. Something i think you'd find distasteful.

You'll rag doll this in a desparate attempt to have the virtual last word so you can tick it off as a victory. At least you have a hobby.
Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 03:20 pm
@hingehead,
You asked a loaded question, don't try to play the wronged innocent, you mealy-mouthed hypocrite. If you want to make this a game of name-calling, i'm more than happy, you pea-witted, hateful son of a bitch. But don't think you've taken the moral high ground. You started out low and went downhill immediately thereafter.
JTT

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 03:48 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
What is it that has caused you to be so honest about your cowardly nature, Merry?

And surprise surprise, you're also one of those chickenshit little number punchers.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 05:24 pm
@Setanta,
I'm very sad about you and your warped perceptions. Take care.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 05:09 pm
@Lola,
Lola wrote:

yuck! Oh excuse me while I say how I really feel................YUCK!

I'd probably say the same thing if I'd been raised by evangelicals.

As it was, my father made me read The Selfish Gene in 8th grade and The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind in 9th grade. I'm inoculated against organized religion and can therefore wade knee deep into the stuff without getting infected, though I do believe in a sort of passive observer God.
Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 05:43 am
@Kolyo,
The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind embodies a thesis founded on very shaky ground. Jaynes' references to history and literature are almost completely unreliable.
Kolyo

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 12:52 pm
@Setanta,
Yes, on an intuitive level there's a lot that doesn't make sense in it.

I was just giving a sampling of the atheistic brainwashing my father gave me as a kid while some of my peers were at Bible study.
JTT

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 04:02 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind embodies a thesis founded on very shaky ground. Jaynes' references to history and literature are almost completely unreliable.

I think it important that one keep in mind just who it is who made this statement.

That's not at all what one would be led to believe from,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Origin_of_Consciousness_in_the_Breakdown_of_the_Bicameral_Mind

Quote:
Brian McVeigh maintains that many of the most frequent criticisms of Jaynes' theory are either incorrect or reflect serious misunderstandings of Jaynes' theory, ...

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 04:50 pm
@Kolyo,
Quote:
Yes, on an intuitive level there's a lot that doesn't make sense in it.

It has, apparently been very influential with contemporary philosophy over the last 30 or 40 years, however long it has been in print. But 90% of the book is speculative, and in my never humble opinion, speculative bullshit.

Sorry to hear about the brainwashing, that's never a good thing. With my stubborn nature, the best way to have assured that i would not be an atheist would have been to attempt to force it on me. I'd be going to mass every week to this day.
JTT

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 05:25 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Sorry to hear about the brainwashing, that's never a good thing.

You should hear Setanta regurgitate propaganda about the illegal and highly amoral invasion of Vietnam.

He swallowed a bundle!!!