Your favorite book as a child?

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 10:18 pm
Blinky Bill. Are there any Oz folk out there who loved Blinky (the koala), too?
0 Replies

dagaz

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 11:04 pm
msolga wrote:
Call me low brow, but I loved just about everything Enid Blyton wrote, especially the Famous Five series, the Faraway Tree, etc ....

Ditto.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 11:11 pm
Hello, dagaz in outback Oz! Very Happy
Glad you enjoyed the Famous Five, too .... Wonderful stuff, yes?
And welcome to A2K ... Lovely to meet you! Very Happy
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 01:12 am
Another one for Enid Blyton - I loved The Faraway Tree and The Wishing Chair
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 12:09 pm
i read and re-read the alfred slote collection of baseball stories when i was about 10 or 11...
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 12:41 pm
the only book I can remember is Black Beauty - was it a favorite - dunno - just remember that book.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 11:42 pm
Anything with horses. The Black Stallion series mostly. I also liked stuff by Judy Blume (sp.?) and The Girl With the Silver Eyes.
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 04:43 pm
'Where the Red Fern Grows' was mine.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 04:44 pm
"The story of O"
0 Replies

Camille

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 04:44 pm
The oversized color illustrated "Lad, A Dog" by Albert Payson Terhune.

Next would be "Lassie Come Home"
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 05:22 pm
"The Sea Wolf" by Lowell Thomas - The story of a WWI German commerce raider who captained a square rigged sailing vessel in a career that took him from North Atlantic to South Atlantic and across the Indian Ocean in 1915.
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 08:35 pm
Books about dogs, mostly sled dogs but can't recall titles. Then it was the Bobbsey Twins, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, then on to Zane Grey.
0 Replies

durriken

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 08:07 am
Which age? J. Livingston Seagull, Aesop's fables, Moliere's L'Avare.

Oh and most of all Sherlock Holmes! (Though I still wanted to grow up to be a gangster, like the ones in "The Untouchables" series, ha ha.)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 08:15 am
I loved the Black Stallion series too, but I think the first book that made an extremely big impression on me was Charlotte's Web. I believe it was in second grade that our teacher read us some of it each day during story time. That may have been the book that peaked my love of reading.
0 Replies

durriken

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 08:22 am
Hi NeoGuin, I noticed you liked Aesop too. I recently read this "follow up", a pretty short novel (an afternoon read, really) on Aesop called "Donne-lui la Parole" by Hans Joachim Schädlich. Enjoy!
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 08:30 am
I was a total comic book nut. Back then they only cost 10¢ apiece and there was a big rack of them at Sonny's Variety Store. My goal was to read as many as I could standing there before they forced me to cough up my dime.

Come to think of it, I still do much the same thing at Barnes & Noble -- only there I shell out way too much money for a cup of coffee.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 01:10 pm
like Setanta The Wind in the Willows was a firm favourite

and I'm with MsOlga on Enid Blyton - I liked the Famous Five and the other five with the spaniel Loopy (Ring O'Bells Mystery springs to mind!) - i think it was the freedom they had as much as the adventures - off camping on islands and catching spies and smugglers with no parental supervision when they must have been between 10 -13 years ish

also Rudyard Kipling Just So Stories

and I read a few Nancy Drew

Lorna Doone

Black Beauty made me cry so I can't include that!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 04:14 pm
Yes, Vivien, the Five could just go off & explore islands, caves with secret passages, take risks .... But you knew all would end well. Such a change from my protected childhood, no wonder I loved their freedom! And George was a hero ... Whatta girl! Very Happy
0 Replies

bree

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 10:00 pm
Little Women: I identified with Jo March, whose idea of fun was to spend the afternoon in the garret with a bag of apples and a book, and who wanted to be a writer when she grew up. (Naturally, I was disappointed in the sequels (Little Men and Jo's Boys), which show Jo settled into boring domesticity.)

I also loved The Phantom Tollbooth, which jespah mentioned, and the Hardy Boys.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 10:23 pm
I loved The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew(equal opportunity) Wind in the Willows. Falcons of France by the guy that wrote Mutiny on the Bounty. I was given a book on Inventions that kept me busy for a while. How Things Work. Any Poe or JP Dunleavy. I read and read.
0 Replies