the Challenger space mission

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 08:54 pm
Does anyone have any info/good sites I can go to? I would really appreciate it!! Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,207 • Replies: 4
No top replies

unluckystar

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 10:41 pm
Ahem, This mission failed in 1986....blew up 72 seconds after it launched....any info at all?????
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 07:21 am
There are thousands of sites. Just type "challenger" and "NASA" into any search engine. A good place to start is
Information on the STS-51L/Challenger Accident

Are you looking for anything in particular, such as details of the accident, findings, crew, or prior missions?
0 Replies

unluckystar

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 12:46 pm
I am interested in the prior missions and if there were any problems then. I cannot find anything on that on the internet, it is very annoying!!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 04:42 pm
My favorite reference is Richard Feynman's report. (Full disclaimer: I'm a huge Richard Feynman fan.) Feynman does mention the failure rate among earlier missions.

Richard Feynman wrote:
An estimate of the reliability of solid rockets was made by the range safety officer, by studying the experience of all previous rocket flights. Out of a total of nearly 2,900 flights, 121 failed (1 in 25). This includes, however, what may be called, early errors, rockets flown for the first few times in which design errors are discovered and fixed. A more reasonable figure for the mature rockets might be 1 in 50. With special care in the selection of parts and in inspection, a figure of below 1 in 100 might be achieved but 1 in 1,000 is probably not attainable with today's technology. (Since there are two rockets on the Shuttle, these rocket failure rates must be doubled to get Shuttle failure rates from Solid Rocket Booster failure.)

Hope that helped
0 Replies