Pope Benedict RESIGNS as Head of Catholic Church (2013)

farmerman

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 06:53 pm
@Thomas,
I suspect that hes in the stages of early Allzheimers, because hes emphatically stated that HE WILL NOT have a role in the selection of a new pope.
Ceili

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 11:01 pm
@farmerman,
I agree. The last thing the church needs now is a someone with no control of their faculties.
Ultimately the pope is a priest. They can retire. Waiting for a drooling shell of a man to die won't solve any of the pressing issues. I commend his decision.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 11:02 pm
@Hulk,
Hulk wrote:
What qualities do you assume in such persons which leads you to respect such people?

Self-control, modesty, and pubic-spiritedness.
Eva

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 11:56 pm
@Thomas,
I'm gonna assume that was a Freudian slip.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 12:03 am
i think that this Pope knows that he has been a colossal failure, he decided that he could not change that, so he quit. this is good. however given long running reports that over the last decades the best people have been systematically purged from the church hierarchy I am not expecting much to change...the Church will continue in its death trajectory.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 12:17 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
however given long running reports that over the last decades the best people have been systematically purged from the church hierarchy I am not expecting much to change...
Indeed, some cardinals died over the last decades.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 06:22 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

i think that this Pope knows that he has been a colossal failure, ...

What do you think his biggest failures have been?

Any Catholics out there want to defend him?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 06:28 am
I have no brief to defend the Pope, but this is just another example of Whackeye's stupidity. Ratzinger very likely does not consider himself a failure. He's a conservative, and he has defended the conservatism of the church.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 07:17 am
@Thomas,
In several threads on a couple of boards...I have expressed this same sentiment, Thomas.

This pope came at a bad time...and it was beginning to look as though his time in the chair would be considered a failure.

This single move may very well define the man as worthy of respect.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 07:30 am

I forgot all about Saint Malachy's prophecy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes

Here is the prediction for our next pope:

Quote:
In the extreme persecution of the Holy Roman Church, there will sit Peter the Roman, who will nourish the sheep in many tribulations; and when these things are finished, the city of seven hills will be destroyed, and the dreadful judge will judge his people. The end.

Everyone got your Rapture Tickets ready? Razz

(Personally I doubt the end of the world is nigh, but I guess we'll see how things turn out.)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 09:49 am
@oralloy,
From a (German) cartoon calendar:
http://i46.tinypic.com/t978jm.jpg

There are the lotto numbers on the tv-screen. The quote translation: "Holy mackerel! Tomorrow I'll quit!"
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 02:47 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:
I'm gonna assume that was a Freudian slip.

It certainly wasn't intentional. Where did I slip?
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 02:49 pm
@Thomas,
Pubic!
Thomas

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 02:51 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Laughing

I know I commit a lot of typos, but only a few make my posts better than I intended them to be. This is one of them.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 03:14 pm
@Thomas,

Quote:
I know I commit a lot of typos, but only a few make my posts better than I intended them to be. This is one of them.

I agree...and I am sure Eva does also. Funny! Laughing
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 11:35 pm
@Thomas,
Shocked Embarrassed Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

xxxx

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 11:20 pm
@oralloy,
I hope the next Pope will create a council similar to the Vatican Council from the last Pope. Creating changes such women being able to become priests or something of that sort. But I really doubt it since Catholics leaders are devoted to their traditions.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 13 Mar, 2013 12:14 pm

White smoke! We have a new pope!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 13 Mar, 2013 12:32 pm

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/130313141933-02-white-smoke-pope-0313-c1-main.jpg
fresco

Reply Wed 13 Mar, 2013 01:04 pm
@Region Philbis,
Holy Smoke ?
0 Replies