Essay help!!!

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 09:22 pm
I really need help with this essay. I feel as though I sound very ignorant in it and I don't think it is well structured. Please critique it and be harsh I want this essay to be good.

The prompt is

Choose an issue of importance to you—the issue could be personal, school related, local, political, or international in scope—and write an essay in which you explain the significance of that issue to yourself, your family, your community, or your generation.

The second amendment declares that the people are given the right to bear arms. When that was first passed in the 1700s that simply met that one could protect oneself, but now, in modern times, the right to bear arms has become something taken for granted. If our ancestors would have known America was going to turn our this way, then I think they would have tried to make the law a little more lineate. With the increasing numbers of school shootings and other gun violence, the subject of gun laws have become the next issue America needs to deal with. Some people are saying to take guns away. Some are saying the government should not take away our second amendments right. If the government does not to come up with a plan for gun control, then gun violence will increase.

I just recently witnessed an event like this. On January 30, a six-year-old boy was taken off his bus and held captive in a bunker by a man who shot his bus driver. It was seven days until the authorities were able to get him out. It was horrible and quite scary watching all this. I would have never thought someone would shoot a bus driver, and not in Dale County, Alabama. Nothing like this happens ever here. That’s why the whole thing was such an eye opener to me that something needs to be done about guns. After the hostage situation, people in my community were saying that bus drivers should be allowed to carry guns with them on the bus, as if that would make the problem better. I think this is outrageous. I believe the children would be even more traumatized after seeing their bus driver shoot someone. And by the bus driver claiming that it was self-defense, is that supposed to make everything okay? Then the children are going to be inclined to think it is alright to shoot anyone they feel threatened by. And what gives the bus driver the right to kill someone? Self-Defense may be his claim but murder is still murder.

People are even saying that teachers should have guns, too. If were this were to happen this would potentially be a bloodbath in my own school. More and more events like this are going to keep happening especially if teachers have them too. Who is to say that the gun might fall into the wrong teacher? There are many problems with that. What if one of the kids gets a hold of the weapon and shoots themselves? Then there is a lawsuit against the school. What if someone comes into the classroom harassing the teacher and the teacher shoots him then the children would be even more shocked at seeing their teacher shoot a person.

There have been many events were someone has been killed by a gun. This event could have been avoided, but because it is frankly easy for anyone town a gun, the gun ended up into the wrong hands. The government needs to think of an effective way stop guns from getting into the wrong hands. I do not think it is all right for just anybody to be able to get a gun. I think that they should go through some type of training process, like how cops have to be teased in order to use a teaser. All gun owners should be aware that they own weapons capable of taking a life. There needs to be a way to where mentally unstable people are not given a gun. (Suggest plan)Most people believe this is tampering with the second amendment rights, but I believe that in order for these senseless killings to stop something has to happen. I do not want to go to school one day and witness a shooting or possibly die. People have to understand that the constitution was written before events like this were even thought of. It is appropriate to revise this at least for the occurrences that are happening. We are a growing nation and some amendments should be adjusted as so.

In closing, this controversial topic of gun laws needs to be brought more attention to. We have no control over what happens but we do have control over our right to safety. The government needs to act up before the problem get worst. I am completely aware that it is impossible to avoid violence, but it is the job of the government to protect the people. Many more of these events like Sandy Hooks, Columbine, and others could happen in the future, some at a larger scale. All that is going to be said at the end are the many remarks like, Why? I am safe? Why has yet another person felt the need to take someone else life? Why isn’t someone doing something about these senseless killings? Will it ever end? If something is not done fast then my generation could be wiped out. Unfortunately, these questions are left unanswered. Therefore we as human being have to search through the depths of our fear and find a way to go on, while knowing that there is a possibility of something horrible happening.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 963 • Replies: 0
No top replies