Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 10:46 am
Hi English Expert,
Please let me know if this sentence is acceptable, thanks in advance.
I woke up early for a Chinese New Year celebration today; however, the New Year’s food is not delicious.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 671 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 11:01 am
@GawDesmond,
The English is okay Des but the two clauses somehow need to be linked

Though I awoke early today for the Chinese New Year(,) my meager breakfast hardly constituted a celebration
GawDesmond

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 11:06 am
@dalehileman,
Dear dalehileman thanks,
Can you let me know if this sentence is acceptable also?
I woke up early today to ascertain the usage of a word; however, I have not received a clear explanation.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 01:33 pm
@GawDesmond,
Quote:
I woke up early today to ascertain the usage of a word; however, I have not received a clear explanation.
Yes it's okay Des though I might've said

So this morning I dragged myself out of bed in the vain hope of learning exactly how that word is supposed to be used. Guys, where are you this afternoon

I rose early to look it up but without any luck so far

I got up early hoping to find out here how to use the word "grievance," but so far no luck

This morn at the crack of dawn I leaped out of the sack, hoping to learn from one of you fellas various ways I might use the word "ferocious(,)" but so far you've only beat around the bush, insulting me at every turn, with every posting

Because I woke early today I'm taking this opportunity to learn the precise usage of that word. By now, though, (it) looks like I might as well give up (quit) anyhow. I hate all of you

After continual bouts tossing and turning over its exact meaning I woke up early today hoping to discover still a new means to ascertain a more precise usage of the word we discussed yesterday(Wink without however having yet received a clear explanation exactly what you meant by insisting on that particular construction. So I'm asking again, herewith, hoping that you might now understand my dilemma. In any case, though, thanks for considering my q

Fun, Des, thanks

The crazy face is owes to an a2k software glitch wherein it's crazy editing routine misinterprets a semi in paren [ "( ; )" but w/o spacebars]

Long live Mac and all his programmer minions
GawDesmond

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 09:03 pm
@dalehileman,
Hi dalehileman,
thanks a lot,your English is excellent.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 12:58 pm
@GawDesmond,
Des I'm flattered
0 Replies