Botox parties...endurance condoms...A Year of Ideas

blatham

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 09:24 pm
Dear Salty

Pleased to be formally introduced. I think I can almost appreciate what you are talking of. When I was about 15, I sent a bunch of dripping poetry to a Canadian publishing house. Azure skies stuff. When I think of it now, I cringe profoundly, and understand that there is likely a special circle in hell devoted to people who look just like me. May I ask what it is you spend your time writing?

Life Ain't Fair Fixer seems quite promising and, I confess, an improvement marketing-wise. I think of all those people now line dancing, or stringing up Christmas lights on their mobile homes, or bowling...my label would have missed them all.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 05:51 pm
Blatham, Your poetry probably dripped all over my prose which was probably dripping on someone else's poetry. It's a stage.

I've written two business textbooks, one on design info for desktop publishing and the other on telephone communications. I've also written books for several English-as-a-second-language series. I've written many teacher's manuals and guides. And a project most near and dear to my heart--I wrote a style manual for a historical museum in Washington DC. Why near and dear to my heart? Because I got to establish usage guidelines--the difference between between and among; verbal, oral, and written; datum and data; medium and media; phenomenon and phenomena; etc.

I've more recently written a novel, which requires some revision. Other than that, I've written parts of books, like glossaries, special hints and guidelines. Basically a bunch of stuff.

Are you still writing poetry? Of the less drippy variety?

Salty
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 08:41 pm
to salty
Salty

A real working writer, you are. I understand the heart-proximate gig for the museum. I would love to set guidelines and watch people walk them on their way to certain happiness. I'd love to even set them for my daughter, actually.

I am not still writing poetry. I can't do metaphor worth beans and I'm a coward, so poetry is out. As a writer, I'm really a terrible dilletante, starting projects with gusto and dropping them for something else. But that is all about to change. I've recently engaged the services of a word lover/dominatrix who has promised to shepherd me through to completion of a children's book in the new year. Please pray for both of us.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 09:28 pm
Since I'm the one who set the two of you up in this business proposition, I think 10% of the profits sounds about right. Would you agree?

Blatham, good luck on your book. Word lover/dominatrix just might describe Roberta. I've heard her complain, oy.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 09:54 pm
Roberta

I think I'll let you respond here. Good luck.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 07:50 am
A most merry christmas to all.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 08:01 am
Blatham, I'm wishing you and your dominatrix every success. May the project be completed. And may you not emerge too bloodied.

I agree that poetry can be intimidating. Not my thing.

Have a wonderful holiday.

Diane, If Blatham and I ever collaborate, we might consider a small stipend for you.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2002 01:52 am
Word lover, dominitrix? Did someone call? Here I am dressed in black corset and leather boots with a bit of encouragement, just what the doctor ordered for recalcitrant writers. Bernie, dolling, have you been lolling about while I was away?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 08:11 am
Wow! ...and when it rains, it pours.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 01:34 pm
True enough. Sometimes a person could almost drown in such riches.
0 Replies