Beer bubbles defy the laws of physics

George

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 10:32 am
Beer drafts scientists

The physics of bubbles heads agenda

By KEVIN CONNOR - TORONTO SUN

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2004/03/16/beer.jpg

If you think the bubbles in your St. Patrick's Day Guinness are sinking it doesn't necessarily mean you've had too much to drink, a new university study shows. Two chemistry professors, one from from the University of Edinburgh, in Scotland, and the other from Stanford University, in California, have completed experiments that prove the bubbles defy the laws of physics and that may put to rest the minds of drinkers who might think they were seeing things.

"It's simple. It's based on the idea that what goes up must come down. In this case, the bubbles go up more easily in the centre of the glass than on the sides because of the drag from the walls," said Dick Zare, professor of natural science at Stanford.

"As they go up, they raise the beer and the beer has to spill back and it does. It runs down the sides of the glass carrying bubbles with it downward. After a while it stops, but it's really quite dramatic."

It's amazing how silly some university research is, said Chris Morris, who was having a pint at Finn MacCool's Irish Pub yesterday afternoon.

"Where can I get a grant to study this," Morris said.

"As long as it tastes good and the next one is on the way, who cares."

The way the bubbles cascade downward is quite beautiful to watch, said MacCool's bartender Justin Ward. "It's interesting and people do comment on it," Ward said.

University officials say the experiments took place in pubs and cost only the beer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,407 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 10:42 am
This research is at the cutting edge of ...idunno...er...somthing or other.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 10:46 am
hydrodynamics
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 10:51 am
Which reminds me about the guy who fell in the canal. He was half dragged to the bank, and given life saving first aid. The guy working his arms says help I don't really know what I'm doing. On looker says sorry I cant help but I know about hydrodynamics. Repeated calls for help were met with the same response. Finally he says "ok tell me what you know about hydrodynamics". He replies "if you don't haul his ass out of the water, you'll pump the canal dry"
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 07:03 pm
And how do these bubbles defy physics? I missed that part.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 08:16 pm
You have to drink several glass of the beer to appreciate the full subtly of this study at which point it becomes stunningly obvious.
0 Replies